Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Freshman player spotlight

Submitted by Matt Johnson on August 21, 2011 – 10:51 pmNo Comment

photo by Matt Johnson

Taylor Gault doesn’t have far to drive when she feels like going home. “I knew I wanted to stay somewhere in Arkansas,” she said, “I’m real close to my family and I can’t be away from my family or I get homesick.”

Gault played high school basketball in Conway, where she earned all-state and all-conference honors three years in a row.

“I went to all the schools that were interested in me,” she said, “it was really between UALR and UCA and I was like, ‘why not go to UALR?’ Even though it’s  just 30 minutes away, and UCA is down the street, I could still go home.”

What does she see as her biggest strength? “My first step is pretty quick,” she said, “and I have a high vertical [jump].”

“I’m a driver, pull-up jumpshot type of person,” she continued, “and surprisingly I’ve been able to shoot the three now.”

Is there a part of her game that needs work? “My defense,” she answered. “Staying down and staying square, that’s something I’m trying to work on.”

Coming from a 7A classification in Conway, the state’s highest classification for high school sports, how does she see herself handling the next level? “I think I’ll adjust pretty well,” she responded. “It’s a big transition, it’s a whole lot more work but you know, I’m ready.”

“Nothing that we’re gonna do is easy, I know that,” she continued, “I’m getting prepared for it, you know, the transition and I’ll be ready.”

How important will defense be for the team this year? “Very important,” she said, “defense wins games.”

What would make her freshman campaign a success? “Honestly, just get better,” she said, “I think that’s anyone’s goal, just to get better. I think that’s a major accomplishment, starting somewhere and gaining more by the end of the year.”

Comments are closed.