News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Veteran player knows what it takes to win

Submitted by Charles Newsom on September 11, 2011 – 2:36 pmNo Comment

For Paige Gantar, a 6-foot-1-inch junior from New Orleans, volleyball wasn’t  her first love.  She started her sports career as a basketball player, but followed in her mother’s footsteps and became a volleyball player her junior year at Mount Carmel Academy high school.  “I actually loved playing volleyball so much I gave up the game of basketball, so I stuck with it,” she said, “and I try to show it in my game.”

Gantar is a master of the kill, recording 315 during the 2010 season, including a career high of 22 in a match at Arkansas State. She attributes her accomplishments to the  relationships she developed with her coaches.  “I can say they’re like family off the court, but on the court it’s all business,” she said, “and that has made me who I am, and I love the sport even more.”

The game of volleyball is centered around teamwork. Since coming to UALR she has shown the true meaning of being a competitor and has established herself as a leader among her teammates.   She competes on every play, and it’s made possible by the constant work she puts in.  Instead of going home in the summer, she stays on campus training.  She has continued to develop her skills and her career stats show this.

She knows this season is going to be challenging, and getting better as a team is their goal.  She is focused and ready, confident they have the tools to accomplish their goal as a team.

Comments are closed.