News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Metro BCM offers worship, conversation

Submitted by Taylor Hoffard on October 3, 2011 – 9:29 amNo Comment

From left to right, Metro BCM Vice Head Minister Jake Hilburn, Head Minister Teresa Stephens and representative Yvette Palmer. Photo by Taylor Hoffard

Metro Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) is a ministry on campus that promotes spiritual health and growth for students, according to Yvette Palmer, a representative of the group. Metro provides a positive experience to worship with other believers.

Metro BCM started out as Baptist Student Union (BSU) in the 1930s, and today is available at many major universities. In 1974, BSU became Metro BCM. “Metro has its niche among Christian students,” Palmer said.

UALR’s Metro chapter has approximately 20 to 30 people in attendance every Wednesday for collegiate worship, and is in contact with 200 to 300 people every week. Wednesday service is open to anyone who would like to come.

Collegiate worship is similar to Sunday church services. They study and read the Bible and learn how to apply the Bible in their day-to-day lives. Contemporary Christian music is played during the service.

Metro BCM also hosts a Monday night conversation club, which helps international students improve their English. The group also sponsors an international cooking group, that provides dinner for the conversation club.

“I think the BCM completes the spirituality component of life,” Palmer said. “I hope students on campus realize we are here for the good of the students, not to be judgmental.

“It’s the most humbling thing I have ever been a part of in my life. It’s a little piece of what heaven is going to be like, to be around all these people,” said Teresa Stephens, the Campus Minister at Metro BCM.

Comments are closed.