News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Muslim Student Association open to all

Submitted by Taylor Hoffard on October 3, 2011 – 9:38 amNo Comment

Abdullah Abunasrah is the president of the Muslim Student Assocation. Photo by Taylor Hoffard

The Muslim Student Association is a group on campus that stands for peace and to let people know that Islam is not what it is portrayed to be in the media, according to Abdullah Abunasrah, the organization’s president and a senior chemical engineering major.

Two years ago, Abunasrah re-instated the organization, after a period of inactivity.
“The unique thing about MSA is that a lot of students come from different backgrounds, countries, cultures,” Abunasrah said. “Everyone collaborates so well, and that’s the only reason we have been able to stay together like we have.”

The group now has 20 active members, and their Facebook page, Muslim Student Association – University of Arkansas at Little Rock Chapter, has 35 friends.

Anyone can join the group, Muslim or not, and there are no fees. So far, they have met four times since the fall semester began and meetings are announced via the MSA Facebook page.

“I would say [The Muslim Student Association] made a positive impact on me because I grew up in West Helena, Ark. We didn’t have a mosque like this,” Abunasrah said. “A lot of brothers and sisters come from overseas and don’t know much about America, and we are here to help them out.”

Comments are closed.