News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Single mom aims for academic success

Submitted by Tony Howard on October 3, 2011 – 9:06 amNo Comment

For some the road to success is a little longer than it is for others.

Senior Jamie Bailey with 7-year-old Emma and 8-year-old Easton. Photo courtesy of Jamie Bailey

For senior Jaime Bailey, a single mother, this is the story of her life. Bailey graduated from high school in 1995, began college in the fall of 1996, but she dropped out in 1998 due to a car wreck. She returned to college part-time in 2000, until 2002 when she took another year off due to marriage and the birth of her now 8-year-old son Easton.

In 2004, Bailey found herself attending Eastern College seeking a degree to become a medical assistant. She graduated only to realize the pay she was being offered “was not enough to justify having to work and pay daycare,” she said.

She returned to college in 2008 and continued her journey until the end of 2010. She was working a night job and was taking 10 hours of classes, and every other Friday she had a side job. In the summer of 2010 Bailey started a new job that took up so much of her time she had to quit school until the fall of 2011.

Nowadays, Bailey works full time for Saline Memorial, goes to school full time and raises Easton and 7-year-old Emma.

“Fortunately my husband, whom I am separated from, is very supportive and helps out a lot. I am very grateful for that,” she said.

Bailey’s journey wasn’t an easy one. She started off with intentions of completing college and being a medical assistant, but life had other plans.

Her advice to other single parents, “chase your dreams. You can do it,” she said. “It has taken me a while to get where I am, but I am only getting closer to graduating. Don’t give up, life is too short to waste!”

Comments are closed.