Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Editorials, Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Please spend tax increase wisely

Submitted by adm_wordpress on October 17, 2011 – 2:36 pmNo Comment

Dear Editor,

I think it is great that you are keeping UALR students aware of what is happening in local government. We are all effected by the various laws and ordinances that are enacted. I for one support this tax increase and understand the importance of taxes for public services and infrastructure projects. It is disappointing to know that such a small number of the electorate participated in voicing their opinion through their vote.  I saw many citizens protesting the proposed tax hike, yet many enjoy the services the city provides. It will be our responsibility as citizens of Little Rock to hold our officials accountable as to how they spend these additional funds, and to ensure the expected return on our investment.

While watching the news a couple of nights ago I heard two coroners for the state explaining that they have no resources for updated or proper training and how poorly compensated they are. Many coroners are forced to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. If we expect to receive quality services and want to maintain and retain well-trained and talented people, we must be willing to provide them with the tools they need and compensate them fairly. Too much of anything (taxes) is not good, but as the saying goes, “you can’t get something from nothing.” Congratulations Mr. Stodola – good work and please spend it wisely.

Mark Johnson, UALR student

Comments are closed.