News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Lady Trojans thump Southern Miss

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on January 3, 2012 – 6:52 pmNo Comment

After returning home from a three-game road trip, the Lady Trojans (3-4) thumped Southern Miss 70-44 on Saturday, Dec. 2 at the Jack Stephens Center.

“I was very pleased with our defensive effort. I thought we did a good job of containing their guards,” said UALR Head coach Joe Foley.

With UALR trailing the Lady Eagles 15-11 with 12:11 left in the game, Megan Williams scored on a lay up to start a 24-4 run for the Lady Trojans before leading at halftime, 39-15.

Taylor Gault hit a jumper to push UALR’s lead to 16 with 7:33 left in the second half. With the margin at 53-38 with 6:10 to go in the game, the Lady Trojans cruised on to a 17-6 run to lead by 26 (70-44).

Both teams went scoreless after the remaining two minutes in the game.

Gault scored 19 points to lead UALR, 17 coming in the second half. Janette Merriex finished with 15 points while Megan Williams had nine. Marian Kursh collected seven rebounds while Taylor Ford finished with a game-high seven assist in the game. The Lady Trojans finished 74 percent (17-23) from the free throw line.

Southern Miss (2-5) was led by Jamierra Faulkner’s 18 points while Tanecka Carey had 12.

“Offensively, I thought we played pretty well. I thought our kids attacked even though we got a turnover or two here and there. We kept our heads up. I thought we matured a little bit, and we played a little bit better basketball,” Coach Foley said.

The Lady Trojans will return back to home court action on Tuesday, Dec. 6 against South Dakota State at 7:30 p.m. in the Jack Stephens Center.

Comments are closed.