News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Featured, Sports

Double-double lifts Lady Trojans

Submitted by Matt Johnson on January 19, 2012 – 4:01 amOne Comment

Senior Britteni Williams' double-double helped the Lady Trojans defeat ULL 56-45 on Wednesday, Jan. 18 at the Jack Stephens Center. Photo by Matt Johnson

Senior Britteni Williams led the Lady Trojans with 15 points and chipped in a career-high 13 rebounds as UALR beat the University of Louisiana at Lafayette by a score of 56-45 on Wednesday, Jan. 18 at the Jack Stephens Center.

“Britteni did a great job,” said head coach Joe Foley. “She’s playing as hard as she can play and right now, she pretty well carried us.”

UALR (9-10, 4-2 Sun Belt Conference) was content to take jump-shots against the ULL zone in the first half and Foley voiced his displeasure after the game.

“If they know you can score in the paint, it loosens up the perimeter,” he said. “We knew we were going to get perimeter shots, and we never even thought about getting the ball into the paint.”

Defensively, the Trojans were able to hold the Ragin’ Cajuns to just 34 percent from the floor for the game.

UALR was behind 11-8 with 13:50 to go in the first half before going on an 8-0 run over the next three minutes to take a 16-8 lead before going into the locker room at half up 29-23.

A layup by Williams with 15:17 left in the game sparked a 12-0 run that ULL was never able to overcome.

The Trojans were relentless on the boards and finished with a plus 13 rebound margin, including plus eight on the offensive end.

Williams said she believes the rebounding success begins in practice.

“I think what we’re doing in practice is carrying over to the court,” she said. “It’s embarrassing to get out-rebounded, that’s just heart, that’s hustle.”

Foley praised his team’s rebounding and defense, but still sees things that need work.

“Post players have to touch the ball,” he said. “You can’t play a game and just play on the perimeter the whole night.”

Freshman guard Taylor Gault had an off-shooting night, going just 6-of-20 from the floor but she did end up with 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. She was active on the defensive end, getting four steals and three blocks.

As for Gault’s improvement on defense, she said she’s a work in progress.

“I haven’t completely figured it out,” she said. “I’m still learning, I’m catching on.”

Senior forward Marian Kursh had 10 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the floor to go along with six rebounds and one block.

The Trojans will hit the road to play against Western Kentucky on Sunday before returning home on Wednesday, Jan. 25 to take on the Lady Jaguars of South Alabama. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

One Comment »