News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Calorie counts remain unchanged for weeks

Submitted by Melissa Ibbotson on February 17, 2012 – 1:22 pmNo Comment

The menu sheets in the Diamond Café were recently found to have the same nutritional information for every item served. Chef Sebastian, the head chef in the Diamond Café, said that this was due to the absence of the person who was in charge of the task. Photo by Jennifer Ellis

A discrepancy has been found with nutrition information at Sodexo.

Starting last semester, with the changes that occurred within the university dining company, signs were posted by each station with nutrition information including calorie counts, fat grams, etc.

But a bacon cheeseburger doesn’t have the same amount of calories as a BLT as a piece of chicken pizza and the total calories for all these items is definitely more than 100, which, until last week, is what the signs have said since the start of this semester.

“That shouldn’t be happening,” said Sodexo Marketing Coordinator Justin Roberson, who said he is the one who changes the signs. He said he was out of town for a couple of weeks, and that is why the signs weren’t changed.

The information for the signs comes straight from Sodexo. “I go to menu graphics, and type in the item from the menu, and the information pulls up,” Roberson said.

Federal law mandates that colleges post nutrition information for students, and Sodexo head chef Sebastian Jakupovic said he takes the law very seriously.

Jakupovic said that when he looks at the menu for each day, he tries to account for everyone.

“There’s a lot of people who have to eat lighter, or can’t eat something because of religion or allergies,” he said, “we try to have something different every day.”

Sodexo is working on an online menu system, which will allow students to access the week’s menu, including the nutritional value of each item.

Students can access the system at ualrdining.com or they can ask to speak with any member of management during business hours.

Jakupovic said he wants to ensure that every student has the best dining experience possible. “I want everyone to come here and not worry about it,” he said. “I would like them to enjoy the food.”

Comments are closed.