News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Featured, News

Homecoming Queen Candidates 2012

Submitted by Stephanie Sutton on February 17, 2012 – 6:58 pmNo Comment

Voting for Homecoming Queen will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 22 and 23 in the foyer of the Donaghey Student Center. Only currently enrolled students are eligible to vote, and the student must be present to do so.

Melani Birusingh

Nominated by the Student Government Association

Melani Birusingh is a senior speech pathology major who plans to pursue a master’s degree in speech pathology after she graduates. Originally from Trinidad and Tobago, she would like to have her own clinic in the Caribbean. Birusingh is the student government association secretary, a proud mother and international student. “I would like other international students to be a part of student life and not feel left out,” she said.

Virginia Chambers

Nominated by Chancellor’s Leadership Corps

Virginia Chambers, 20, is a sophomore majoring in speech pathology with a minor in American Sign Language. She is a first year member of the Chancellor’s Leadership Corps. She was raised and home-schooled kindergarten through eighth grade and said that running for homecoming queen would be “a great way to get involved more on campus.” She said she plans on getting a master’s degree after her undergraduate career and would like to work full-time as a speech therapist working with kids at a clinic or school. She described herself as “very outgoing and friendly, not shy or over the top, very easy going and laid back.”

Natalie Clark

Nominated by Society of Women Engineers

Natalie Clark, 21, is a junior construction management major. She is an EIT Ambassador and works in the construction management office. After graduation, she said she wants to work for a nonprofit organization building homes for the less fortunate. Clark graduated from North Little Rock High School in 2009. After she graduates, she plans on moving back to Texas. “I’ve recently had a lot to think about, and I really want to do something to help people. I haven’t quite figured that out yet, but I am definitely searching for a purpose,” she said.

Kimberly Gulley

Nominated by Delta Sigma Theta

Kimberly Gulley, 22, is a junior majoring in social work. She works in the Health Promotions, Programs, and Education office and is a program planner for Trojan Trailblazers. “I aspire to be the best that I can be and go through life without causing harm or distress to either myself or others and to find a job that I love and where I feel like I make a real difference,” she said. Gulley’s ideals include political action, community building, volunteerism and open mindedness. When she graduates she would like to work with neglected and abused teenagers.

Andrea Moore

Nominated by Kappa Sigma

Andrea Moore, 19, is a sophomore majoring in speech pathology with a minor in political science. She works at South Eastern Freight Lines as a secretary and hopes to achieve more recognition for the Kappa Sigmas and other Greek organizations on campus. “We are here and we are thriving, and it is time we get people to pay attention,” she said. Her hobbies include going to church on Sundays, climbing Pinnacle Mountain and going fishing. “My goals in life are to touch as many people in a positive way as I can. I hope to achieve a sense of self worth that will be far more important than the tangible things.”

Ashley Morris

Nominated by Association for Computer Machinery

Ashley Morris, 19, is a sophomore computer science major with a minor in math. One of the few female members of the Association of Computer Machinery, she works on campus as an Engineering Information Technology Ambassador. She is from Marshall, Ark., and her hobbies include playing video games, painting, crafting, digital design and photography. Her favorite bands include Silversun Pickups, Green Day, The Who and Electric Light Orchestra. She describes herself as diligent, self-motivated, quirky, artistic, intelligent and creative. After graduation, Morris said she “hopes to work in the computer industry and develop software/technology that would improve the quality of life for all.”

Kasharie Sanders

Nominated by Alpha Kappa Alpha

Kasharie Sanders, 20, is a sophomore majoring in nursing. She works on campus as a student tour guide in the Office of Recruitment. Her goals and aspirations include, “to be successful in all my endeavors including my profession, spirituality, social and family life.” Within the past two years she has been involved in numerous activities through the Office of Campus Life, the Chancellor’s Leadership Corps and the Epsilon Phi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. “By having a progressive interest in college life with these organizations, I was inspired to run for homecoming queen. I hope to be a great representative for UALR and the Epsilon Phi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc,” she said.

Meredith Shipp

Nominated by Kappa Delta

Meredith Shipp, 21, is a sophomore journalism major. She graduated from high school in Carlton, Ga. Her hometown is Texarkana, Texas. After graduating, she plans on staying in Little Rock or moving to Dallas. She aspires to be an editor for a fashion magazine. “I feel honored to be representing my sorority, Kappa Delta. I enjoy spending time with my sorority sisters, going to the lake and beach, dancing, working out, traveling and shopping.”

Alexandria Taylor

Nominated by Pi Kappa Alpha & NPC

Alexandria Taylor, 22, is a senior majoring in music education with a minor in secondary education. She said she is a good candidate for homecoming queen because she is a people person and would like to gain the experience. She said that music is a big part of her life. “I love anything musical,” she said. Very easy going and adaptive to her environment, she balances her musical life with a part-time job at Kroger. She plans on teaching music by the time she is 25.

Katie Waller

Nominated by Chi Omega

Katie Waller, 23, is a senior majoring in speech pathology with a minor in dance. and a fifth generation graduate of Mount St. Mary Academy in Little Rock. She is a member of the UALR Dance Team, the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association and is a Chi Omega sister. A full-time student as well as employee at Holy Souls Extended Care, Waller said, “I love kids and have known all my life that I wanted to work with them and help them. My passions and goals in life are involvement in supporting our military, speech pathology and dance … I want to be able to use my degree, talents and life experiences to bring confidence to children through therapy and dance.”

Comments are closed.