News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Editorials

Breast-feeding: Normal or nasty?

Submitted by Melissa Ibbotson on March 1, 2012 – 10:51 pmNo Comment

Within the last few years, public displays of breast- feeding have been the subject of outrage, both in social me- dia and news organizations. Protests have been staged, people have ranted, raved and argued over the issue and everyone involved seems to have something different to say.

So what’s the big deal? Well, pro-breast-feeding ad- vocates say it’s natural, so who cares who doesn’t like it? And those naysayers out there complain that breasts

are solely the object of sexual desire, and should be used for nothing else (or at least the fact that they are used for other purposes should be hid- den).

Let’s look at the facts. Women have been breast- feeding since the dawn of time, and they’ve been doing so in public. Everyone else eats in full view of everyone else, so why shouldn’t babies be allowed to do the same? And to those who say women should take their babies into the bathroom when it’s time to feed, I’d like to know if you would ever eat in a bathroom stall? I didn’t think so.

But that’s an old argu- ment. Here’s another one. What about the skin women show during breast-feeding? How much is too much? Face- book has been the subject of a hailstorm since it decided to delete pictures of women breast-feeding, due to “nudi- ty.” Is it really nudity? A wom- an posts a picture of her child breast-feeding, and she’s fully clothed, with just the top of her breast and the child’s face showing, and it gets deleted. The woman who posts a pic- ture of herself in a string biki- ni showing twice the amount of boob — not to mention the rest of her body — and she’s

allowed to keep the photo up. Why?

Our society has gotten its priorities mixed up. In- stead of worrying about how much skin we can get away with showing for purposes of turning on the opposite sex, how about we start worrying about our children, the next generation of humans who will be given the task of tak- ing care of us and the planet in the years to come. Don’t they have a right to grow up with the best care possible?

And to those who think breast-feeding in public is wrong, I have to say: Don’t look. It’s that simple.

Comments are closed.