News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment, Technology

Spotify gives you all the music you could ask for

Submitted by Matt Johnson on March 1, 2012 – 11:29 pmNo Comment

Music is a huge part of my life. I have an extensive music collection but even with a 64GB iPhone, I’m only able to carry a tiny fraction of the music I actually own.

Apple and Amazon both have Cloud services that offer you the ability to store music that you already own in a digital format. There’s another player in the field you might not be aware of but it has an advantage over both of those offerings.

Enter Spotify, the new kid on the block. Spotify is a music service that brings millions of songs right to your fingertips. It works much the same as Netflix, but instead of videos, you search a database of catalogued music.

According to their website, Spotify claims it would take 80 years of non-stop listening to get through their whole catalogue of music and that doesn’t even take into account the 10,000 songs they add each day.

Spotify offers you three levels of involvement. Simply download the free program and you can listen free to millions of tracks on your computer. With the free service there are advertisements that play every few songs, but they are short and not intrusive considering the service is free.

For $4.99 per month, you can step up to the Unlimited service and it does away with the advertisements.

Spotify’s Premium service is $9.99 per month and offers the same unlimited listening as well a the ability to use Spotify on your mobile phone. With the Premium offering your music is streamed at 320kbps, which is a higher quality bit rate for better sound.

I used Spotify’s free service for a couple of weeks before I made the decision to sign up for the Premium service. The main factor in my decision was the availability to stream music using my iPhone. I didn’t have to worry if I had a certain CD with me or if a certain song was on my phone. I just use the search function, find the song I want and within seconds it’s playing. I’ve been putting the service through its paces, trying to find a problem or a weakness. I’ve been totally pleased with it so far. The sound quality is good and the ability to search any song and play it is worth the $9.99 a month. When you think about it, you probably waste thatmuchmoneyormoreeach month on gum or coffee.

As long as you have a 3G signal, the music streams per- fectly well and I’ve yet to have any problems with the music lagging.

Spotify offers integration with Facebook as well as the ability to assemble playlists and sync them with a mobile device or computer so that you can access them at any time, regardless of Wi-Fi or cellular service. (The offline service is only available with the Premium service).

If you’re ever out and think of a song you’d like to hear, only to find you don’t have it with you, Spotify just might be your new best friend.

Comments are closed.