Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Baseball player has career series

Submitted by Grace Townsend on March 15, 2012 – 10:03 pmNo Comment

Sean Bignall. Photo by Matt Johnson

The Trojans visited the University of Tennessee at Martin for a three-game series the weekend of March 2 and for senior outfielder Sean Bignall, it’s a weekend he won’t soon forget.

The Trojans were down early, trailing 11-5 in the fourth inning. UALR managed to even the score after nine innings, thanks in part to a three-run homer by Bignall in the top of the sixth inning.

He would come to the plate in the top of the tenth inning with the score knotted at 11. He got a pitch he liked and lifted it into deep left-center field, giving the Trojans the lead and the eventual victory.

“To put my team ahead in extra innings and have all of them meet me at the plate. I will never forget that. It was amazing,” Bignall said.

Bignall has had quite a start to the season. In the UT Martin series he hit three homeruns, drove in 12 runs and hit .667.

He was named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week for his performance and was also named to the College Baseball Hall of Fame All-Star lineup.

As of the writing of this article, he leads the nation in homeruns (9), RBIs (33), slugging percentage (1.245) and total bases (61).

While he’s happy with the way things have started, he’s quick to point out that a good beginning is just that and what really matters is where you stand at the end.

“My goal, personally, is the same goal that the team has and that is to get to another regional,” he said “I don’t care what it takes to get there, all I know is that’s where I want to be when it comes to the end of May.”

Bignall kept up his torrid pace when the Trojans came home to face South Dakota State for a two-game series on March 6 and 7 at Gary Hogan Field. He went 3-for-5 with a triple; three RBI and two runs scored on Tuesday to help the Trojans win 14-13. On Wednesday he went 4-for-5 at the plate with four runs scored and six RBIs and set a new school record for total bases in single game with 14. The Trojans won 20-8, sending South Dakota State back home with 2 losses.

Bignall said he knows the competition will only get stiffer once the Trojans hit their conference schedule but the team is getting along so well right now, he’s just enjoying playing.

“My favorite part of this season so far is the team chemistry that we have,” he said  “We really get along great on and off the field and it seems to be translating to success on the field. It makes winning a lot more fun knowing you have everyone behind you.”

Comments are closed.