News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Editorials

Romney connects, offers no details

Submitted by Ricky Harris on September 5, 2012 – 7:04 pmNo Comment

As a busy college student, it is extremely difficult to weed through the mess of politics to try and understand what is actually going on.

Both sides in the presidential election are filled with negative ads attacking each other in vicious ways, I hope to highlight some parts of Mitt Romney’s acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention and put it into perspective.

As Jon Stewart said in 2010, most Americans aren’t really a part of the “silent majority,” but rather members of the “busy majority.” It’s not that they don’t care; they just don’t have time to pay that much attention. They are busy trying to provide for their families.

At the onset, let me say this: I believe that both Mitt Romney and President Obama both love their country. They wouldn’t deal with the stress and headache of running for president if they didn’t. But I want to point out differences and call out politicians for what they say. Politics should not be personal; that is what turns voters away.

Toward the beginning of his speech, Romney said, “I wish President Obama had succeeded because I want America to succeed.” Then he went on to talk about how he would add 12 million jobs if elected president. But he offered no plan. No details. Not even close to a hint of how he would do it. If he had a plan, he should announce it now. If it was the right plan, it could have been adopted and put Americans back to work.

But instead it’s just words. It’s just fluff. There’s no meat to his plan for job creation.

“If you felt excitement when you voted for Barack Obama,” Romney went on to say, “shouldn’t you feel that way now that he’s President Obama?”

Well, Governor, a lot of Americans are still excited. Obama has ended the war in Iraq, voiced support for equal rights in reference to same-sex marriage and passed health reform for the first time in American history.

Romney used the speech to try to connect to the ordinary person. Until that point, he was seen as a rich snob who had never known what it’s like to miss a meal or not be able to provide for his loved ones. I think he succeeded ever so slightly on this aspect of the speech. He and his wife, Ann, have been through a lot in their personal lives, including her fight with multiple sclerosis. They also raised five successful sons. Whether you’re wealthy or not, that is always a hard task.

I commend Romney for his successes in life. Instead of getting a job only because of his father, he and his friends started a company that went on to be highly successful. I applaud his success. His business experience will not hurt the country. That’s an area where he has a leg up on President Obama, who has little to no private sector experience.

Both candidates bring positive attributes to the table. Your vote shouldn’t be about whom you hate less, but rather whom you agree with more when it comes to their vision for their presidency. It’s not personal; it’s about results. America has lost its civility and it needs to be found again, quick.

Heck, maybe Roseanne Barr is the answer that everyone is ignoring!

Comments are closed.