UALR hosts governor’s debate
October 7, 2014 – 10:25 pm | No Comment

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 the University of Arkansas at Little Rock hosted a gubernatorial debate between Republican governor candidate Asa Hutchinson and Democratic governor candidate Mike Ross.

Read the full story »
News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Archive by Month

Article Archive for October 2012

Captain Howdy visits my sister
October 31, 2012 – 11:09 am | Comments Off
Captain Howdy visits my sister

My mother, rest her soul, was a devout Catholic, and she clung tightly to the traditions and teachings of the church in an almost fanatical way. We were all baptized as infants and submerged literally …

Last minute costumes without breaking the bank
October 31, 2012 – 10:43 am | Comments Off

If you’ve waited until the last minute to buy your Halloween costume, never fear, plenty of people leave things to the last minute and there are a variety of solutions that will help make sure …

Treat yourself to a healthier Halloween
October 31, 2012 – 10:41 am | Comments Off
Treat yourself to a healthier Halloween

The goal for most people on Halloween is to get a candy stash that will last for weeks, or attend a memorable party with family and friends. But belly aches and unbuttoned jeans can creep …

Goodwill Halloween costume contest offers shopping spree
October 30, 2012 – 1:19 pm | Comments Off

Goodwill Industries of Arkansas is not only offering its costumers frugal Halloween costumes this year, but a chance to win an $85 shopping spree.
“[Goodwill] is more than just a great place to find used items …

The Flintstones Caper
October 30, 2012 – 1:14 pm | Comments Off

Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s there were numerous ads on television for children’s vitamins, which were geared toward both mother and child. These ads offered statistics to frighten mom, and well-known cartoon characters to …

Attorney General gives consumers Halloween safety tips
October 30, 2012 – 12:02 pm | Comments Off

Attorney General Dustin McDaniel issued  an alert Oct. 24 informing consumers how to avoid unexpected and unnecessary Halloween scares.
“Consumers invest time and money into Halloween, hoping that they and their children have a fun and …

Red Hot Chili Peppers bring “I’m With You” tour to Little Rock
October 26, 2012 – 2:12 am | 2 Comments
Red Hot Chili Peppers bring “I’m With You” tour to Little Rock

The Red Hot Chili Peppers made up its canceled March 26, Verizon Arena show Thursday night in Little Rock.

EMOBA hosts 20th annual ‘Haunted Cathedral’ in downtown Little Rock
October 24, 2012 – 6:45 pm | One Comment

If you don’t already have plans for Halloween night, or would like to add something to your agenda, check out the 20th annual Haunted Cathedral at 1208 Louisiana Ave, a fundraiser hosted by EMOBA, The Museum of …

How to up-cycle Styrofoam for Halloween costumes
October 23, 2012 – 1:55 pm | 2 Comments
How to up-cycle Styrofoam for Halloween costumes

Are you stuck on campus and still need a Halloween costume? Up-cycle your leftover Sodexo Styrofoam containers with a little creativity.
Hula dancer
Using string and an opened small square Styrofoam container, decorate it as a …

More obstacles in the way of education
October 18, 2012 – 2:42 pm | Comments Off
More obstacles in the way of education

We understand enrollment and retention at UALR is a great balancing act. But the recent decision to require first-time freshmen to live in on-campus housing beginning fall 2013 has many students and faculty baffled.
UALR has …

Relations with a tusked boar
October 18, 2012 – 2:41 pm | Comments Off

Woo! Pig Sooie! Yea, I said it. And you know what? It’s ok.
But only for another few weeks.
You see, it hasn’t been deemed appropriate to start a football program at UALR. It could be debated …

Be polite with cellphone usage
October 18, 2012 – 2:40 pm | Comments Off

The ring of a cell phone, or a Facebook or email alert from a smartphone, can certainly break the concentration of the people around us from whatever subject matter is being presented, whether at work, …

How to lose a friend in 10 minutes
October 18, 2012 – 2:40 pm | Comments Off
How to lose a friend in 10 minutes

The upcoming Presidential election is easily the most important one I will have ever lived through.  For the first time ever, we have a sitting President who supports same-sex marriage, and every reason to believe …

Former Black Panther activist to speak on issues of race, justice
October 18, 2012 – 2:38 pm | Comments Off
Former Black Panther activist to speak on issues of race, justice

Civil Rights icon Angela Davis will be speaking at UALR at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 25 at the University Theater.
Davis is an author, activist and professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
Her lecture is …