News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Featured, Sports

Two home wins put Trojans atop SBC West

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on October 3, 2012 – 7:06 pmNo Comment

The Trojan volleyball team continued its four-game winning streak on Friday and Saturday night after defeating Louisiana-Monroe and North Texas in conference play at the Jack Stephens Center.

Sophomores Edina Begic and Adisa Hodzic paced UALR to a 3-0 victory over the Lady War Hawks. Begic led the team with 15 kills and Hodzic had 13.

The Lady Trojans swept Louisiana-Monroe in convincing fashion 25-9, 25-17, and 25-14.

UALR head coach Van Compton expressed her thoughts on the home opener win against Louisiana-Monroe.

“I thought our players played according to the scouting report,” Compton said.

Compton said she was proud of the Trojans for winning its first home match after being on the road earlier in the season.

The Trojans never trailed in all three sets and finished with 67 percent in the last set.

“I feel like it was really good that we came out and won our first home game because we’ve been on the road for so long. I think that’s going to say something for us to keep on going,” said Senior Emily Pepperman, who finished with six digs in the win.

With the third set at 24-12, Louisiana-Monroe’s Bianca Ocana was assisted by Sarah Tatarko for the kill to put the Lady War Hawks within eleven then ten after a service ace. The Trojans ended the last match to secure for the victory after a kill by Eva Xie.

Compton thought the Trojans tough competition in the preseason made them grow.

“I think now that we’re in conference, we’ve played really good teams before the season and now that we’ve beat these teams, most of the teams are no better than what we’ve played in the preseason,” Compton said. “I think we have a good gage of where we are as far as how we play as a team and our talent.”

Sophomore Allison Wyatt had eight digs and sophomore Marleen de Zoete finished with 38 assists for the Trojans.

After the win, Compton quickly turned her attention to North Texas and expected the matchup against North Texas to be a dogfight.

“I think we have to come ready, they’re a very good team, they’ve beat Baylor a couple of weeks ago, so I think we have to come ready to play,” Compton said.

A dogfight is just what the Trojans got as they won 3-2 Sept. 29,  against North Texas.

UALR won three sets (25-17, 26-24, and 15-11) and lost the third (25-22) and fourth set (26-24).

The Trojans were led by Begic, who finished with a double-double of 33 kills and 24 digs. Teammates Xie and Hodzic had 14 kills and 11 kills. Pepperman finished with a game-high 30 digs while Wyatt had 15, and Danielle Souza Moura added ten. De Zoete had 63 assists in the win.

The Trojans improve to 4-0 in Sun Belt conference play and will play its next two matches at the Jack Stephens Center to matchup against South Alabama at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 5 and Troy at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Comments are closed.