News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Campus Life, News

University Program Council

Submitted by adm_wordpress on October 18, 2012 – 2:34 pmNo Comment

Movies, games and fun, oh my! The University Program Council (UPC) offers these and many other activities for students to enjoy. Whether it’s the amazement of a magician, the laughter from a comedian or the bizarreness of a hypnotist, the UPC is guaranteed to provide a good time.

The UPC is a registered student organization within the Office of Campus Life that provides entertainment of all kinds to the student body. The University Program Council is funded by student activity fees, which means all events are free to students. The UPC offers a chance for students to come together and have a good time.

UPC has three executive committee members this fall.  They are Eboni Franklin (Movies/PR), Lucia Okaro (Special Events), and Vernon Wilson (Entertainment). Franklin believes that more students should become involved.

“We provide events we think students would enjoy,” Franklin said,  “but it would make it easier if we had more students attend UPC meetings to tell us exactly what they want to see on campus.”

Franklin also stated the goal of the program is to provide events for students so they can enjoy them and allow the students to get involved with campus activities.

“The best part about being in UPC is knowing that we are putting on events that could possibly be a memorable moment in a students’ college experience,” Franklin said.

Emily Cox, the UPC adviser, has been with the program for two years. She graduated from Arkansas Tech (ATU) in Russellville. Cox was a member of the Delta Zeta sorority, served as a resident assistant, worked with student government and collaborated with other offices on campus. She has devoted her time and effort to helping others.

“Being so involved in many campus entities, I discovered my passion for working with students,” Cox said.

Cox received a master’s degree in college student personnel from ATU, and during her time as a Graduate Assistant she spent time working with the Students Activities Board.

“I knew after that experience that my heart and passion lied in student affairs and student activities,” Cox said.

UPC’s next series of upcoming events will include UPC Week. UPC Week starts on October 22 and will have a week-long event of activities including: a showing of The Dark Knight Rises (keep in mind that movie won’t be out on DVD for at least another two months), old school game night with games such as Pacman, Frogger, and the original Donkey Kong, a carnival that will include a mechanical bull, games, and free food, and a neon-themed bash where you will need to wear white and come dance like there is no tomorrow. Not to mention, they will also feature comedian Tiffany Haddish, who has appeared on HBO and Comedy Central.

Anyone that wants to get involved with the UPC can do so by attending meetings which are held every Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. in the DSC in room 201T. All students are encouraged to come out and give their ideas on how to make their college campus experience better.

If you would like to get more information on the UPC, visit their website at: www.ualr.edu/UPC or by their Twitter: @UALRUPC.

- by Sabin Terry, Contributing Writer

Comments are closed.