News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Best of UALR

Best Staff Member – Nick Steele

Submitted by Kerissa Accetta on November 2, 2012 – 3:44 pmOne Comment

Voted Best Staff Member at UALR, Nick Steele is more than thrilled to have won the title.
“I’m elated and excited and certainly grateful, but not necessarily surprised,” Steele said.
I feel like I do a good job on teaching them how to learn how to lead and how to serve,” Steele said.
Kelsey Reed, a sophomore Chancellor’s Leadership Corps scholar and biology major, said, “Nick is very dedicated to his job and to his students and [is] very motivated and ambitious for them all to succeed.”
“I love working with the students. It’s certainly a passion of mine,” Steele said. “I kind of understand what it takes to be a CLC scholar, the time and dedication it takes to be a CLC Scholar [by doing things like] going to class, and serving the community.”
Summer Flannery, a sophomore CLC Scholar with an undeclared major, said, “Nick is very personable and very idealistic. He’s very open to hearing other people’s opinion.”
Steele has been the Coordinator for the CLC for a little over a year. Prior to that, he spent four years as the assistant director of admissions at UALR in the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
He began working with CLC students when he became a volunteer co-coordinator with Logan Hampton. The class sizes and interest in the program continued to increase, which led to the creation of the coordinator position.
“Obviously it was a natural transition for me after volunteering for two years,” Steele said.
Steele was born and raised in Pine Bluff and graduated from Sheridan High School before attending UALR. While he attended UALR, he majored in radio, television, and film in the School of Mass Communication and was a CLC student himself.
“I think [UALR is] a wonderful university and despite being in the capital city of Arkansas, I think it’s one of the best kept secrets in the state.”
Steele wanted a job that he appreciated and had an impact on his life as well as others.
“My favorite part [is] just working with the students everyday. A week could go by and my door is continuously revolving. It’s students in, students out. I love that because if I make an impact, a positive impact on a young adult’s life, just one a day, I feel like I’m doing a good job,” Steele said. “The most important job of mine is to retain scholars in our program and to graduate them as well. And also along the way, develop them into the successful young adults that they will become.”

One Comment »