News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Best of UALR

Best Athlete – Taylor Gault

Submitted by Jacob Ellerbee on November 2, 2012 – 3:44 pm2 Comments

Taylor Gault, a 5-foot-8 sophomore guard on the UALR women’s basketball team, won the title of Best Athlete in the Best of UALR. Gault downplayed the recognition and kept the focus on the team, “it’s pretty cool just knowing that people are out there watching us and supporting us.”
Gault is a native of Conway and began playing basketball at the age of 5. Gault attributes her abilities to her father having a diverse athletic background, “My dad actually played basketball, football, track and baseball. He did it all and I got all of my talent from him.”
Gault decided to attend UALR because of its proximity to her hometown. She said, “I wanted to stay close to home and they offered me a scholarship. I just like seeing all of my family in the stands and all my friends come see me.”
Gault said a typical day for her consists of waking up at 8 a.m., going to class at 9 a.m., finishing class at 11:50 a.m., going straight to the gym, getting ready for practice, completing practice, studying, eating, going to sleep and then doing it all over again the next day.
Although Gault has only played one season of college basketball, she has accumulated a number of impressive awards. One such award was being named to the Full Court NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Freshman All-American Third Team.
Additionally, Gault was named the 2012 Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year and the 2012 Sun Belt Conference Tournament Most Outstanding Player.
Gault not only broke the school’s freshman scoring record but also broke the record for scoring more points in one season than any first-year player in the Sun Belt Conference, according to UALR Trojan statistics.
Although she has yet to start her sophomore season, Gault has received more accolades. She was named to the Preseason All-Sun Belt First Team. Also, Gault and her teammates have been picked to win the school’s sixth-straight West Division Title. All of these pre-season awards are voted on by Sun Belt Conference coaches prior to the start of each season.
Gault said she and her teammates are excited to be picked first to win the West Division. “Every year we’re doubted. [Critics] say we’re not going to be as good as the previous year.”
After completing her career at UALR, Gault plans to pursue a career in the Women’s National Basketball Association, but will look at her options in playing overseas. Gault said, “If I have to go overseas, then I’m still going to have fun with whatever God gives me.”
Gault has yet to choose a major, but said, “I want to do something with medicine and athletes. I’m thinking athletic training or physical therapy.”
Gault and her teammates begin the season on the road against Tulsa Nov. 12. They will be tested in non-conference games against teams like Oral Roberts, Missouri State and Memphis.

2 Comments »

• Chris Carr says:

Great article! Great accomplishment Taylor! Continue to make your family proud! We love you!!

• This just proves that athleticism runs in the genes! And Taylor remains humble even with all the awards and recognitions she’s garnering. Now if all athletes were like her, then watching these sports will be more inspiring, don’t you think so?