News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Best of UALR

Best Sorority – The Deltas

Submitted by Juanita Britton on November 2, 2012 – 3:44 pmNo Comment

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. has been recognized by its peers as the Best Sorority on campus.
Delta Sigma Theta is a private, non- profit organization that provides assistance and support to local communities.
UALR’s Mu Kappa Chapter currently consists of 15 members, and was founded in 1975, after a petition was signed by 54 women determined to bring Delta Sigma Theta to campus.
At the time, only 10 percent of UALR’s enrollment consisted of African Americans. The women’s mission was to enhance the lives of African American women on campus and in the community.
The chapter’s purpose is to participate in public service activities and to obtain high cultural, intellectual and moral standards for the collegiate and surrounding community.
“I crossed in April of this year,” said Nikkia Ratliff, a member of the organization. “I wanted to join an organization in line with my ideology. I believe in helping others, and as our president says, “Have a servant heart.”
“Often times, organizations say what they’re going to do, but you really don’t see them in the community. After conducting my research, I believed Delta Sigma Theta practiced what they preached, and stayed consistent on the principles it was founded on,” Ratliff said.
The national organization was founded at Howard University in 1913 when discrimination and inequality for women were prevalent.
According to the Sorority’s national chapter, there are over 200,000 members and 900 chapters worldwide, making them the largest African-American women’s organization in the country.
“I chose Delta Sigma Theta, hands down, because of the community involvement. I also saw an opportunity to grow individually, and to become a better person,” said Dekenbria Young, another member of the sorority.
Delta’s motto is: Intelligence is the torch of wisdom.

Comments are closed.