News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

All natural: lifestyle or passing fad?

Submitted by adm_wordpress on November 19, 2012 – 2:17 pmNo Comment

Within the past few years natural hair has been more accepted by society. As a naturalista myself, I believe natural hair is neither a trend nor a phenomenon.  No, it is really so much more.

For many women around the nation who choose to go natural, it’s about freedom and confidence. Natural hair is where sexy, special and unique meet to make beautiful women who need no other validation than what they get from themselves.  Natural hair is about the woman inside of you.

Romantic as that sounds, going natural may be a stretch for you, but hear me out.  For every reason not to go natural, there are three reasons to go natural.

After speaking with fellow student Joslyn Lindsey who is also the creator of Naturally Expressing Me on Facebook this is what she had to say about whether or not natural hair is viewed as a fad or a lifestyle choice.

“I think it depends on the individual. For the majority I think it is a lifestyle choice. I think people have come to the realization that we really don’t need to chemically alter our hair even to wear it straight. I think that makes people more comfortable with themselves. They no longer have to worry about certain things once the chemical is gone,” Lindsey said.

“But monkey see, monkey do. There are a few out there who are seeing everyone else doing it so they may as well try it with no intention of keeping it that way. They’ll get tired of it or just try it and relax their hair again. But just trying it can actually lead to giving deeper thought to it than just a look. I was one of those just trying it, and it has opened my eyes to so much more. The day I cut my hair it became a lifestyle choice.”

Being beautiful is part of being a woman, and a woman should be comfortable and confident in her own skin.  For most that means rocking their natural texture.

Natural hair is an extension of creativity and the perfect fashion accessory.   It sets each and every woman apart from the norm and sets the soul free.  There is nothing more rewarding than being recognized for being yourself.

So, for the ladies long in the natural hair game, keep rockin’ your Angela Davis afros.  And for those on the fence or with questions, remember your hair doesn’t wear you, but you wear your hair. That’s why natural hair  is more than a trend, because it’s about you.  And you never go out of style. So be free and fly.

Comments are closed.