News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Trojans turn up intensity late, pull out victory

Submitted by Matt Johnson on November 30, 2012 – 3:36 amNo Comment

Junior Leroy Isler defends against a three-pointer by Emil Jones during the final moments of UALR's 58-56 victory over Troy on Thursday, Nov. 29 at the Jack Stephens Center. Isler finished with 12 points and nine rebounds. Photo courtesy of EMJ Fotografi

Despite a lack of intensity for the first 30 minutes and difficulties sharing the ball, the Trojans were able to secure a 58-56 victory over the visiting Trojans of Troy on Thursday, Nov. 30, at the Jack Stephens Center, 

“We had 15 assists[last week] and the ball moved,” said head coach Steve Shields. “We don’t play that way, we’re not very good.”

As for the lack of intensity, Shields placed the blame squarely on himself after the game.

“I’m not pointing the finger at those guys,” he said, motioning toward the locker room. “That’s my fault, because we played that way last week and I didn’t get our guys to play that way this week.”

Junior forward Will Neighbour notched his second double-double of the year and led all scorers with 14 points to go along with 11 rebounds. It was his fifth-straight game to score in double figures.

UALR shot just 9-of-33 (27 percent) in the first half and their only lead came at the 13:10 mark when they were up 12-11.

Troy shot 14-of-29 (48 percent) as a team in the first half and took a 33-28 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Out of the break, Troy hit a three-pointer to stretch the lead to eight, but the  Trojans kept it close and tied the game at 47 with just under eight minutes left,  in the midst of a 12-5 run.

“We just knew we had to get it turned,” said sophomore Taggart Lockhart. “It was either that or lose.”

UALR had four players finish in double figures. Junior Leroy Isler had 12 points to go along with nine rebounds. Lockhart had 11 points while freshman James White contributed 10 points.

The Trojans face a quick turnaround as they host the University of Louisiana at Monroe on Saturday, Dec. 1 at the Jack Stephens Center. The Lady Trojans tipoff is scheduled at 4:30 p.m. and the men are schedule to begin play at 7 p.m.

Comments are closed.