News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Three-pointers lift UALR in win over Tulsa

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on December 20, 2012 – 6:26 pm5 Comments

Janette Merriex's seven three-pointers helped her secure a career-high point total in addition to another Trojan victory. Photo courtesy of EMJ Fotografi

Senior forward Janette Merriex hit seven three-pointers to pace the Lady Trojans (9-1, 2-0 in Sun Belt Conf.) to a 78-51 win over Tulsa on Tuesday night (Dec. 18) at the Jack Stephens Center.

The Lady Trojans were 8-for-16 (50 percent) from the three-point line in the game.

Joe Foley, head coach for UALR, was pleased with the team’s performance after a 10-day break. “I thought we come back to play pretty well. Then we got somebody as hot as Janette was from the three-point line that makes a lot of things look good.”

Merriex finished with a career-high 22 points and was one rebound short from a double-double.

“Three-point shooters are going to have good nights and bad nights. This was one of those excellent nights. You don’t see that very often when a kid hits seven out of ten ( 70 percent),” said Coach Foley. “Anytime she’s (Merriex) open for three-point line, people not in her face, we will allow her to shoot the ball.”

Taleya Mayberry, who came into this game as the Tulsa’s leading scorer, led the Golden Hurricane with 19 points.

Foley was pleased with the defensive performance of sophomore Taylor Ford for holding Tulsa’s star player.

With 10 minutes to go in the game, Tulsa cut the game to five points (20-15) after two free throws from Mayberry. It was as close as the Lady Hurricane could get.

Merriex hit a three-pointer with 9:26 to go to start a 10-2 run for UALR. From that point, Tulsa cut the deficit to an eight-point game (30-22).

The Lady Trojans extended its lead to 13 points (39-26) before halftime.

In the second half, UALR stretched its lead to a 21-point game (55-34) after Taylor Gault scored on a lay up.

Gault scored 20 points in the win, 14 coming in the second half. Another three from Merriex put the Lady Trojans up by 23 points (59-36) with over ten minutes to play.

“Just because what my role is that I think of, just being a three-point shooter, that’s basically what I’m there for and just defense,” Merriex said.

The Lady Trojans kept the lead over 20 points throughout the rest of the game.

UALR won the rebounding battle 38-37 and finished the game by shooting better than 62 percent from the free throw line.

The win against Tulsa means the Lady Trojans are 5-0 against Conference USA teams this season.

Sophomore Kiera Clark and junior Taylor Ford each had nine points. Ford dished out seven assists in the game.

The Lady Trojans will resume Sun Belt Conference play on the road at 12 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 22, against South Alabama.

5 Comments »