News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Lady Trojans trump Lady Techsters in final non-conference game of season

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on February 2, 2013 – 7:17 pmNo Comment

Junior Taylor Ford helped pace the Trojans Wednesday night in UALR's final non-conference game of the season. Ford filled the stat sheet with 16 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. Photo by EMJ Fotografi

Junior guard Taylor Ford paced the Lady Trojans with 16 points in a 74-52 win over Louisiana Tech Jan. 30,  at the Jack Stephens Center. Ford also had six rebounds and six assists in the win.

The Lady Trojans finished non-conference with an 8-1 record, which boosted their overall record to 14-7.

“I thought it was a good ball game. Overall, I thought we had good concentration,” said UALR head coach Joe Foley.

Louisiana Tech’s Lulu Perry scored most of the team’s points to lead by one (8-7) on the 15:55 mark.

Afterwards, UALR turned the game around and went on a 14-0 run to lead by as many as 14 points (21-8).

Janette Merriex scored a lay up at the 5:33 mark to put the Lady Trojans 31-17.

With 2:55 left to play, Jakeisha Wells hit a jumper to put UALR up by 19 points (38-19). Foley expressed how pleased he was with the Lady Trojans concentration.

“I think our freshmen are getting smarter and the other kids are playing with more concentration with more pop. I think we’re doing a great job getting the ball up and down the floor causing a lot of easy baskets for ourselves,” he said.

The Lady Trojans took a 40-21 advantage at halftime. Ford hit a jumper at the 16:19 mark to put UALR up 48-27 in the second half.

With the Lady Trojans leading 58-38, Ford banked in a three pointer that put them in a 23-point lead. UALR led the entire second half by over 20 points. Carolee Dillard drove to the basket for two-points, putting UALR up 74-48. Foley talked about the importance of free throws in the game.

“I think if you look at any game we lost, it was probably turnovers and the free throw line.” The Lady Trojans were 70 percent (21-for-30) from the free throw and beat Louisiana Tech in rebounds 48-35. The team also tied their season high in blocked shots with 11.

Foley said, “first half, we had 10 turnovers but still we were doing some pretty, good things. We were hustling and then we cut the turnovers down the second half and hit our free throws.”

Taylor Gault finished the game with 13 points and four rebounds. Ka’Nesheia Cobbins had 12 points, five assists, and five rebounds, and Kiera Clark scored 10 points and five rebounds. Hannah Fohne led UALR with eight rebounds to go along with her four points.

The Lady Trojans will face South Alabama at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Jack Stephens Center.

Comments are closed.