News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

New fairy tale film offers ‘Giant’ entertainment

Submitted by David Ellis on April 4, 2013 – 11:48 amNo Comment

“Jack the Giant Killer” is a British fairy tale about a young man who slays a number of giants during the legendary King Arthur’s reign and has become the basis of the new film, “Jack the Giant Slayer.” The movie is produced by New Line Cinema and directed by Bryan Singer, who is known for his role as producer for “X-Men 2” and “X-Men: First Class.”

Jack, the film’s unwary hero portrayed by Nicholas Hoult, is sent to the city by his uncle to sell their horse in order to have enough money to patch their roof. While he’s on his errand, Jack meets Princess Isabelle (Eleanor Tomlinson) and finds himself rescuing her from robbers and thugs. Not surprisingly and through a comical twist of events, Jack comes home with no horse and nothing to show for his errand except for some supposedly “sacred” magic beans.

The beans, which were believed to be sacred by the original owner,, make little impression on Jack’s uncle, who throws them away and storms off to get the horse back. Meanwhile, the Princess arrives at Jack’s house after running away from Roderick (Stanley Tucci), her fiancee and a man involved in a sinister plot to become king. The magic beans begin to sprout soon after, taking the Princess with the growing stalk and leading Jack to an adventure that leaves him with more than he bargained for — a rescue mission and a sky populated by giants.

This movie is well-assembled with an excellent story and top-notch cast. Because the effects are excellent, it’s also visually spectacular.  I initially expected this movie to be another “Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters,” but I found myself pleasantly surprised at how well-acted and entertaining it was. Nicholas Hoult, whose credits include “Warm Bodies” and “About a Boy,” brings likeability to the character of Jack that’s similar to his characters in other movies.

Because seeing “Jack the Giant Slayer” in 3-D adds to the movie’s visual effects, I highly recommend it. But keep in mind that there is a bit of gore and the movie has a PG-13 rating, so although this is a fairy tale, the gore may be too much to handle for young children.

Overall, “Jack the Giant Slayer” delivered the goods and ended up being a fun flick that’s full of action, humor and adventure. The movie would make a great family outing or even a good idea for a date night, and I can see myself buying this one when it comes out on DVD.

Comments are closed.