News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Winners named in annual Faculty Excellence Awards

Submitted by LaShaune Rostagno on April 18, 2013 – 12:01 pmOne Comment

Three professors were honored with top accolades at the UALR 2013 Faculty Excellence Awards held Friday, April 12.

Margaret E. McMillan, a geoscientist and professor in the College of Science, received the Bailey Teaching Award, the highest honor that included a grant of $10,000. The department of earth sciences also received $5000 to fund more research.

According to colleagues, McMillan received his award for her devotion to education by adapting classroom lab exercises to enable students to use their studies in real-life situations. She also works with Donaghey scholars and designed a program that treats each student as a hired professional with coursework listed as job responsibilities.

“It  is a privilege. I love interacting with my students,” McMillan said. “I teach them, and I learn from them. … I don’t have to go to work; I get to go to work.”

Nidhal Bouaynaya, a professor in the College of Systems Engineering & Information Technology, won the $5000 Bailey Faculty Excellence Award in Research sponsored by the UALR Society of Philanthropy. Bouaynaya works in the field of genomic signal processing, and her research combined this process with mathematics to further cancer research.

Nancy Landrum from the College of Business received the Faculty Excellence Award for Public Service, which included a monetary prize of $5,000. Landrum developed UALR’s first undergraduate and graduate courses in sustainable business practices, which engage students with service learning projects like the campus garden. These ventures provide resources to teach students how to run sustainability audits, assessments and how to further market research. Landrum is currently on sabbatical in Germany and serves on the sustainability committees

UALR has celebrated the Faculty Excellence Awards for 25 years. Each UALR college or school selects one winner in the categories of public service, research and teaching. The Foundation Fund Board later presents a check for $1000 to each recipient. PepsiCo, the Bailey Foundation and the UALR Philanthropy Society sponsored the awards.

One Comment »

• Jay Shawn says:

Nice post mate, Got a pretty much information about the university and its awards ceremony. Keep posting..!! Looking forward for more posts by you.