Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Where Are They Now? Tyler Buckley

Submitted by Alton Young on September 2, 2013 – 9:56 amNo Comment

Former Trojan Tyler Buckley

Former UALR pitcher Tyler Buckley was drafted in the 27th round of the 2013 MLB Draft and is currently in the minor league, where he was named an All-Star. Buckley appeared in 19 games for the Trojans last season as a senior and had three saves. The Forum caught up with Buckley to ask him a few questions:

Q: Tyler, who do you play for right now?

A: The Williamsport Crosscutters, they’re the (minor league) affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Q: What was the draft experience like and how did you find out that you were drafted?

A: My whole family was in the living room watching the draft tracker on MLB.com for three days, really. The last day, in the 27th round, we just all kind of found out together. My phone just went off and everyone that I’ve ever met in my life texted me or called me within ten minutes of each other.

Q: What has changed for you, since becoming a professional player?

A: Well, everything is just really on your own. Back in college, there’s someone just watching your every move. Now, you kind of decide your fate and the business now. That’s probably one of my biggest changes.

Q: After being drafted, what is the most exciting thing that has happened to you so far?

A: Well, probably the All-Star game. It’s a big privilege to play with the top people in the league.

Q: What would you say that you learned while playing at UALR that helped you the most?

A: We had mental meetings my senior year every Wednesday night leading up to the season. (We) talked about how to keep yourself in the game mentally and not check out when something bad happens. It’s really helped me out at this level.

Q: What are your long term goals?

A: To make it to the big leagues, that’s the biggest goal of most of the guys here.

As of Aug. 29, Buckley has pitched in 10 games for the Williamsport Cutters this season and has a ERA of 2.81.

Comments are closed.