Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Whatever your interest, student jobs are available

Submitted by Rachel Wright on September 3, 2013 – 12:26 pmNo Comment

Illustration courtesy of Brady Jackson.

Students employed by the university are seen all over campus, working as Resident Assistants, in the library and at food service centers, offices and numerous locations, but how did the students get those positions? Can any student apply for employment on campus? Does is have to be through a work study or scholarship program? Let’s find out.

Resident assistants (RA): Resident Assistants are charged with maintaining dorm life and are responsible for helping students who live on campus. Each RA is assigned a floor or certain number of rooms with residents to assist and guide while living on campus. The Resident Assistant will organize floor or housing events in which students living on campus can meet other students while having safe fun. RAs go through an intense training course to learn how to handle situations ranging from simple lock outs to fires and domestic disputes.

“It’s a thrill, a real adrenalin rush, when the on-call phone rings and it’s not just a lock out,” an RA Regina Lewis said. (The on-call phone is a cell phone students living on campus may call to contact an RA when the student needs help pertaining to a housing emergency.) During an interview with her, the on-call phone rang. A student had been locked out of the room and needed back in. To be let back into to the room,  she and student had to fill in a lock out request form and pay a $10 fee.

After Lewis unlocked the student’s room, she received a call about a domestic dispute, for which she called the department of public safety.

Training for an RA position begins in the spring semester into the summer, and flyers will be posted around campus telling when and where students can pick up an application. When applications are reviewed, students will be called in for Super Saturday to begin training.

Lewis said she would recommend the job. “If students are looking for leadership, yes. If they are looking for a great resume builder, yes. Looking to be seen, definitely,” she said.

Library: The Ottenheimer Library is where students go to research, study, use a computer or just check out a reading book. Student librarians interact with a large majority of the campus. Scholars from different colleges around campus go to the Ottenheimer Library requesting information, and the librarians point them in the right direction. The librarians are trained to use the Library of Congress classification system when placing books on the shelves, because this is thought to be a more organized system when doing research. Prior knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification System is not needed when applying for a position at the library, just the willingness to learn.

Student librarians may enhance their social skills because of all the people they come in contact with, “My ASL (American Sign Language) skills have greatly improved, because when friends come in and have a question, they sign it to me and I translate it to help them,” student librarian Lesley Thomas said. To apply for a job at the library, ask for work study when filling out FASFA information, or click on student jobs at the bottom of the UALR home page.

Food service: The workers preparing the food on campus are a mix of students and staff. The university works with the students’ schedule to set aside time for them to work, so they can balance classes and food preparation. Students do not need work study to work for food services.

“I saw a sign that said ‘now hiring’ and went and asked for an application” said Caila Decose, who works at a Starbucks on campus. Students can ask for an application at the Starbucks, Quiznos or Taco Bell counters. Workers change stations if one area of service is understaffed, allowing them to experience diversity on campus. Workers also receive on-the-job training when they learn how to work the registers and prepare foods.

Office jobs: For students who work in offices all over campus, it is a networking, experience and resume builder. To apply for an office position, students can go to the college of their major and ask a professor or the department chair if any positions are available. Students can even get credit for interning. The departments will work with students’ schedules and provide them with time sheets. Office work includes copying documents, filing papers, taking scholarship applications, answering phone calls and scheduling appointments. Students are able to do homework or study while working in some offices, as long as it does not interfere with the job at hand.

“I love my job,” said Yusra Baig, art department office worker. “There is nothing to hate about it. The environment and people I work with are really good and easy to work with.”

Students working in the offices meet other students of their major or members of that department. Employees are paid at midterm and end of semester and receive minimum wage.

Chancellors Leadership Corps ambassador or junior mentor: To become a CLC ambassador or junior mentor, a student must be part of the CLC scholarship program, which they apply for in the spring semester of their freshman year. A CLC ambassador are sophomores who guide students entering the scholarship program. They are a friend and counselor to the freshman in their group, and help students make the transition from high school to college. They work in the CLC office and also provide volunteer opportunities to help students maintain their scholarship.Training to be a CLC ambassador will begin in February.

Junior mentors started out as CLC ambassadors and supervise the upcoming ambassadors. They help ambassadors with their students and work in the CLC office.

“I really enjoy doing this for the students…being here and giving them the wisdom, I’ve learned, helps them,” junior ambassador Kelsay Williams said.

Student jobs on campus can provide opportunities to get experience in in a student’s field of study, network, socialize, diversify and make extra money. Students living on campus have expressed the convenience of not needing a vehicle to get to work. “Do not procrastinate,” junior mentor Caprice Phillips said.

“Always put school first – you have your whole life to work,” Decose said.

Comments are closed.