Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Galletti ready to score with UALR soccer team

Submitted by Steven Savage on September 4, 2013 – 2:53 pmNo Comment

Photo courtesy of Nelson Chenault

Parents can be one of the strongest influences on an athletes’ life. Junior Ariel Galletti remembers the times her father taught her various sports before she played
midfield for the UALR Trojan soccer team.

“I remember watching these kids kicking a ball and thinking to myself, I could kick
the crap out of a ball,” she said. “So I told my dad to sign me up and the rest is
history.”

Galletti, recently named to the Sun Belt Preseason All-Conference First Team, has
been the leading scorer for the Trojans for the past two seasons.

“For the cherry on top, I would like to be leading scorer for the third year straight, but that’s not as important as long as our team wins!” she said.

The Trojans are starting the 2013 season on a 2-0 win streak. In the match against the UAPB Lions on Aug. 27, Galletti scored her first goal of the season. She contributed two assists for the Trojans in their first match, a 6-1 victory against Southern.

She said, “So far, I think we are doing very well. We have won two games in a row and that hasn’t happened since 2002!”

Galletti said head coach Adrian Blewitt is a good guy and she can’t wait to see what more he brings. In addition, she believes the team dynamic has shifted a lot.

“It’s so much better now,” she said. “I love all my teammates and would take a ball to the head for them. I think that with this new team, success is just around the corner.”

Former coach Freddy Delgado contacted Galletti after seeing her play at a college showcase in Texas. Since she has been at UALR, Galletti has been a key player on the team.

As a freshman, she played in 19 games and made four starts in 2011. She also scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 overtime victory against Louisiana-Lafeyette. In 2012, she started in 16 of 18 games of her sophomore year. She put 18 of 32 shots on target for a .562 shots-on-goal percentage. Her 18 shots on goal were a team high as well. Overall, she led the team with 13 points on five goals and
three assists. She was the first UALR player to win the Sun Belt Player of
the Week award since the 2009 season.

“My main focus this year would be to win more games plain and simple,” she said. “If we’re able to make it to the conference tournament then I will be very happy.”

Galletti was born in Miami, Florida. She is the daughter of Jeneva Townsend and Richard Galletti. At the age of 2, her family moved to California where she was raised in the “The Valley” also known as Los Angeles. The California native said she played baseball, basketball, and golf before getting into soccer.

“I always played sports as a kid,” she said. “My father taught my brother and I
everything.”

Galletti said the strongest influences in her life are her parents.

She said, “I have seen what they have done and what they haven’t done. I have learned not only from their examples, but their mistakes as well.”

She is studying marketing and advertising and contemplates law school after graduation, to become a sports agent. In addition, she has interests in working in the entertainment industry, specifically product placement. When she is not working hard in the classroom or on the field, Galletti enjoys hanging out with
friends, working out, and finding time to relax.

“If I’m not running on the field I’m running somewhere else,” she said.

Comments are closed.