News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Women’s golf team tees off

Submitted by Alton Young on September 4, 2013 – 2:24 pmNo Comment

The UALR Women’s golf team brings a completely international roster into the 2013 season with players from Sweden, Scotland, Denmark, Norway, and France.

Coach Bridgett Norwood has the perennial goal of making it to the Regional Championship, while facing the added challenge of getting four new players adjusted to the school and to the team.

“The goal that you have for your team each year is to make it to the NCAA Regional Championship, but first things first: we’ve got to play well in our tournaments that are upcoming,” Norwood said. “I have practically a whole new team this year, so we’re all still in the learning process.”

“I have two girls that returned and four girls that are new, so we’re just now on our honeymoon, so to speak,” Norwood said.

Leading the team will be those two returning players: senior Katie Reid, a criminal justice major, and junior Sofia Berglund, a psychology major. Both players were named to the Women’s Golf Coaches All-American Scholars team this summer for maintaining 3.5 grade point averages this past school year.

Coach Norwood expects leadership from the two UALR veterans and she spoke on Berglund. “She has been that way, a leader,” Norwood said.

“She went home for the summer and her game has improved tremendously and I expect her to lead the team this fall in scoring because she’s worked real hard,” she said. “She’ll be a tremendous asset to the team.”

The coach also spoke highly of Reid, a native of Scotland. “She’s also worked hard on her game and has made a great deal of improvement,” Norwood said.

The coach said all four new players will be able to contribute right away, adding that they all have something unique to bring to the table. “I will have very high expectations out of all four of them,” Norwood said.

The team will look to add to their one first-place finish from a season ago. They also have the opportunity to showcase their talent in a big tournament. UALR  is the lone SBC team invited to the Golf Week Conference Challenge, which is sponsored by Golf Weekly magazine.

“They invite one team out of each conference to participate and they invited us this year,” said Norwood. “It’s real exciting for us to be able to do that this year and a great honor to be invited.”

The Golf Week Challenge will be held Sept. 23-25 in Colorado. The team was scheduled to open the season with the Jackson State Invitational in Alabama earlier this week.

Comments are closed.