News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Men’s golf coach brings confident message

Submitted by Alton Young on October 2, 2013 – 9:38 amNo Comment

New Trojan Men’s Golf coach Jake Harrington is still getting settled into his office, but that isn’t stopping him from having very high expectations for his team this season.

“Our goal is to win every tournament we compete in,” he said.  While the first year head coach conceded that it was a lofty goal, but
that he believed that the team has the talent to be a “force to be reckoned with, here in the Sun Belt Conference.”

Harrington inherited a team that had nine top 10 finishes last season, including a season’s best 2nd place in Red Wolves Fall Classic. The Trojans returned several upperclassmen, including three seniors and four juniors.  The team began the new season with a 4th place finish in the Weibring Intercollegiate and won the HBU Husky International with the 1st place finish Oct 1.  According to the coach, the two early season tournaments serve an educational purpose for the team.

“We’re learning a lot about ourselves here in these first couple of tournaments of the year, but this is a team – with the seniors and juniors on the team – that (has) the leadership to take this team to another level,” he said.  “As long as we keep putting ourselves in position to win, that‘s what matters.”

Harrington spent the last six seasons in Phoenix coaching South Mountain Community College in Phoenix, where he won three conference championships.  He relishes the chance to win on the Division I level here at UALR.

“It’s a great opportunity for one, to come be a part a NCAA Division I program, but more so than that the city of Little Rock
and the community here at UALR is a fantastic community,” he said.

“It’s a place that I wanted to be.  It’s a place I felt comfortable.  It’s a place that I feel we can build a very dominant program here.”

The Trojans next tournament is the Wolfpack Intercollegiate in Raleigh, N.C. on Oct. 7-8.

Comments are closed.