Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Swim team anxious to dive into new season

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on October 2, 2013 – 9:42 amNo Comment

senior Kara Raney photo courtesy Nelson Chenault

The UALR Swimming and Diving team will begin its 2013-2014 season on Sat., Oct. 12 when they travel to New Orleans to face Tulane.
This season the team has a 19-player roster that includes nine freshmen. Head Coach Amy Burgess said that the freshmen signing class is very versatile. The freshmen swimmers are mostly IMs (individual medley swimmers), distance swimmers, and middle distance swimmers.

“I am really excited that we got a great group of freshmen in this year – with nine freshmen and one transfer,” Burgess said.  It’s really nice to have kind of a younger crowd that has a lot of excitement going on, because we’re really excited to see what they can do.
Coach Burgess’s goals for this season are to set more school records and to get in the mix of the NCAA Division I.

“We got lots of competition this year. It’s going to be fun to kind of step it up a little bit and see what Division I is all about and get into that mix.”
Though the roster is heavy with new additions, UALR also brings back some experience in the nine letterman swimmers return to the squad including three seniors: Holly and Hope Myers, Kara Raney, three juniors: Meghan Petersen, Alexis Stone, Samantha Thompson and three sophomores: Megan Scott, Natalie Swindle, and Valeriya Teplova.
Raney, who does sprint, freestyle, and backstroke events, holds two individual and three relay records for UALR. “I’m hoping for more expectations this year and reset those records,” Raney said. “Hopefully, since we’re in a new conference, I’m hoping to get top three or a medal.”
Last March, Sophomore Diver Megan Scott made history at the NCAA Diving Regional Meet after finishing 45th overall in the one-meter springboard event with a total of 185.85.
The Swimming and Diving Team 2013-14 season schedule features six dual meets, four invitational meets, and an appearance in the Missouri Valley Conference Championships, which will be from February 13-15.

Comments are closed.