News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Soccer seniors face last stand

Submitted by Alton Young on October 24, 2013 – 1:06 pmNo Comment

The UALR Trojan soccer team nears the end of its season with the goal of making it to the conference tournament still within reach. The five seniors remain positive in what has been a year of learning in head coach Adrian Blewitt’s first season with the team. The door remains open for a berth in the SBC Tournament in Texas. The team is battling ULM for the final tournament bid, while the seniors simultaneously approach the end of their UALR careers.

The seniors on the team are Ashley Barksdale, a biology major and Little Rock native; Holly Holland, a health science major also from Little Rock; Adrianna Queen, a biology major from Las Vegas; Page Mason, a studio art major with an emphasis on illustration who is from Fresno, Calif.; and Andrea Letzel, a sports management major from Germany who transferred to UALR just this season.

The task to keep a team focused as the season has its usual ups and downs typically falls on the upperclassmen and this group understands the part they play.

“We just try to come out to practice every day and remember to have fun and the reasons that we’re all here – just to keep the connectivity between all the players and the bond that we have, just trying to keep that up and not to get down if we miss a goal or miss a pass,” Barksdale said.

The sentiment of remembering why each individual is on the team was an expression echoed by Mason.
“I think it’s just letting all of us players know and understand that we do care for one another and that we do know why you’re here and you’re an asset to the team no matter what part of the team you might be,” she said.

The ladies hope that they have left their mark on the team and their teammates as their college careers come to an end.

“I’ve always been a person with a very strong personality, so hopefully I’ve left a lasting impression on the girls that are just coming in this year,” Queen said. “I’m just really happy to say that I’ve been a part of this place. Hopefully, they’ll remember me,” she said.

It’s been kind of a struggle, the past four years for me, being up and down with injuries for me and everything,” Holland said. She went on to say that she hopes she left a good impression, both personally and on the field when she did get to play. “It’s been a good four years, overall,” she said.

Though this has been Letzel’s only season with the team, she hopes that she has been able to contribute. “I hope I’ve brought some international experience on the team,” she said. Letzel played on several teams in Germany prior to this season at UALR.

After a loss Sunday to conference leading Western Kentucky, the team has one game remaining against Texas State on Oct. 25 in San Marcos, Texas, which is coincidentally the site for the SBC Tournament Nov. 6-10.

Comments are closed.