News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

UALR falls at home to Troy in first clash of SBC Trojans

Submitted by Alton Young on January 16, 2014 – 2:38 pmOne Comment

After a four-game win streak, which included three-straight wins against Sun Belt Conference opponents to start conference play, the UALR Trojan Men’s basketball team were stopped Saturday night by the other Trojans in the SBC, the Troy Trojans.

In the first clash of the Trojans this season, UALR shot worse than 40 percent from field and only 62 percent from the line in a 75-62 loss on Jan. 11 at the Jack Stephens Center against the Troy Trojans. The loss dropped the team to 3-1 in the SBC and 8-8 overall.

Troy shot only 38 percent from the field, but were 10 of 23 from three point range and managed to out-rebound UALR 46 to 33. UALR never lead in the game, trailing from start to finish and did not attempt a free throw in the first half, which pointed to a lack of aggressiveness that head coach Steve Shields blamed on himself.

“That’s all on me. My team wasn’t ready to play. I said we’ve got to have an edge every time we come to the floor,” Shields said while also giving Troy credit for its play.

Shields compared his team’s slow start to that of the one they had against South Alabama in their previous game. In that matchup, the Trojans were able to turn the tide late in the second half and come away with a 65-60 victory, despite the slow start. However, the team wasn’t able to reverse the flow against Troy and Coach Shields commented on the team’s mental approach.

“It’s a mentality. You’ve got to have some dog in you. Coolness doesn’t win. Toughness wins across the board,” he said. He pointed to the 23 three-point attempts as too many for the team. “That’s a passive mentality that I take full responsibility for,” Shields said.

“This is disappointing when you don’t have an edge coming to the floor in front of a nice crowd right here, but we’ll get better from it,” Shields said.

The Trojans have a chance to get that edge back Thursday, Jan. 16,  in a game on the road against Western Kentucky, which is followed by a nonconference road matchup against Georgia State Jan. 18.

One Comment »

• joni says:

“This is disappointing when you don’t have an edge coming to the floor in front of a nice crowd right here, but we’ll get better from it,” Shields said. The Trojans have a chance to get that edge back Thursday, Jan. 16, in a game on the road against Western Kentucky, which is followed by a nonconference road matchup against Georgia State Jan. 18.