News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Ben Crumpton: baseball player, piano man

Submitted by Pauline Mothu on February 12, 2014 – 3:13 pmNo Comment

Since the first time he played baseball, UALR senior Ben Crumpton, a native of Hot Springs, Ark. has never stopped.

Baseball has always been a huge part of his life.  He started playing at the age of 4. “My grandfather brought me into baseball,” the finance major said.  “He used to play when he was younger, so he pushed me to play baseball as well.”

Following in his grandfather’s footsteps, Crumpton was selected to the All-State and All-Conference teams while at Lakeside High School in Hot Springs. After graduating, he was approached to play professionally but turned the offer down.

“I decided to turn it down to go to college,” he said, “but I plan to pursue a baseball career after graduating from UALR this coming May.”

Crumpton joined the UALR baseball team in 2012 and led the Sun Belt Conference with 23 stolen bases. Last season, the third base player led the UALR team in runs scored and doubles. He was also the only UALR player to put together a 14-game hit streak last year. He has been named to the Sun Belt Conference Honor Roll for two years in a row and was also named Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Student of the Week for the second week of December 2013.  A resume like that leaves little doubt that Crumpton can pursue a professional baseball career after graduation.

It is not always easy for a student-athlete to combine practice, games and a social life with having good grades, but Crumpton finds a way to be a good student, a good athlete and still have a social life.

When he is not practicing, playing baseball or studying for school, Crumpton enjoys doing typical college activities such as hanging out with friends, watching movies, going bowling, and listening to music. Crumpton also enjoys playing piano.

My grandmother taught me how to play, he said.  I have been playing since I was a kid.

Crumpton’s family has had a great influence on his life, especially his grandparents. He may not have been the person, or the baseball player, that he is today without his grandparents and his family’s support.

Crumpton’s final season as a Trojan baseball player begins Feb. 14 against Creighton.

Comments are closed.