News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Lady Trojans begin quest for consistency

Submitted by Alton Young on February 12, 2014 – 2:56 pm2 Comments

Though there was originally a game scheduled Wednesday, Feb. 5, the UALR women’s basketball team spent the day practicing instead as icy weather kept Georgia State away from Little Rock.

The game has been rescheduled for March 4 at the Jack Stephens Center, according to an announcement made by the UALR Department of Athletics.  Head coach Joe Foley didn’t seem to mind the change in the team’s schedule.

“The way this worked out is we’re moving the game to where we had an open date the last week of the season,” Foley said.

“I think it worked out pretty good for us, really. I’d rather be playing late in the year than practicing late in the year.”

The Lady Trojans are still trying to establish a consistency between road and home play.  The team boasts a 9-1 record at home, but only a 2-9 record away from the Jack Stephens Center.

Coach Foley wants to see improvement in one area in specific.  “We’ve got to get better defensively,” Foley said.

Both coach and players are still looking for improvement heading into the second half of the conference schedule.

The team has taken steps in the right direction after earning a 58-51 win against Western Kentucky University at the Jack Stephens Center Feb. 8.  Junior Taylor Gault lead the way with 22 points.

Senior forward Kiera Clark, who chipped in 10 points and 9 rebounds in the win at the Jack Stephens Center, has her focus on making improvements away from home court.

“I would like for my team to do better on the road,” Clark said.

The health science major also looks at the positive side of the schedule change.

“We will be better prepared when we play [Georgia State],” Clark said, citing the recent injury of senior Hanna Fohne.

Fohne, also a health science major, was determined to do whatever she could for the team.  “For me it’s whatever my team needs, if it’s two minutes or if it’s ten minutes,” Fohne said.

Despite being limited in practice, Fohne set a new UALR record for blocks when she swatted three in the game against WKU, giving her  105 for her career at UALR.

Like Clark, Fohne is ready to change the team’s road results and she said the solution is simple.

“We need to come to play every game, whether it’s home or away,” she said. “We’re slowly working on it.  It will be a process, it can’t just change overnight.”

The team will get a chance to try again on the road when they travel to Lafayette, La. Feb. 12 to take on Louisiana.

2 Comments »

• Basketball is one of the most popular game round the world.
    I’m a basketball player and my personal opinion is that this is the only game in which your every body part undergoes a rigorous workout.
    Breaking the monotony of boys over basketball, girls also doing well here and i congrats them for their success.
    By Footlballbilijetter

• Basketball is one of the most popular game round the world.
    I’m a basketball player and my personal opinion is that this is the only game in which your every body part undergoes a rigorous workout.
    Breaking the monotony of boys over basketball, girls also doing well here and I congrats them for their success.
    <a href="http://www.balltravels.com/&quot;)Fotballbilijeter