Video

Home » Features

Homecoming Queen 2014 Candidates: Sharhonda Kelly

Submitted by Jacob Ellerbee on February 25, 2014 – 11:50 amNo Comment

Senior Sharhonda Kelly has been nominated for homecoming queen by Trojan Talk

Sharhonda Kelly
Senior Biology Major
Nominating organization: Trojan Talk

Sharhonda Kelly, a senior biology major, has been nominated by the Trojan Talk organization for homecoming queen. Trojan Talk works within the campus community to promote healthier and safer lifestyle choices.

Sharhonda Kelly was the first (and currently the only) African American to graduate as Valedictorian from DeQueen High School in southwest Arkansas.

In addition to her involvement with Trojan Talk, Kelly also serves as a peer educator for HPPE- an extension of Health Services- which deals with Health Promotion, Programs and Education. Kelly is also a mentor for the African American Female Initiative group.

Kelly is a University Science Scholar and a Ronald E. McNair Scholar. She’s also a member of Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society) and Delta Epsilon Iota (Academic Honor Society).

Kelly said her experience at UALR has been one in which she has been able to become independent and network with professionals.

“[My UALR experience] has taught me that every event or occasion is a learning experience,” Kelly said. “I’ve made mistakes, but I’ve also had wonderful opportunities and I will make sure to share the both of those with new students to make the journey a little easier.”

Kelly said if she were named homecoming queen, she would be a positive role model for students.

“I take pride in our school. I believe that I am capable of representing our school in a positive manner, both on and off campus.”

Comments are closed.