News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Student rooms at UALR going viral

Submitted by Javari Burnett on March 16, 2014 – 1:42 pm5 Comments

It’s no surprise that this new day in age has brought many things to the virtual world. YouTube has become an international sensation and is viewed daily by millions of people around the world. From over-night sensations to finding the perfect makeup tutorial, YouTube is at your disposal for a variety of uses. Now, UALR can be added to that list of things. That’s right! The University of Arkansas at Little Rock has its own YouTube channel.

The channel is designed to connect the population of the university’s diverse students, faculty, and community. The name of the channel is @UALRVIDEO. Videos on the channel includes a variety of events such commencement ceremonies, scholarship opportunities, and more.

The channel has also started a new feature, My Room at UALR. The videos follow UALR’s students and their stay in one of the university’s housing options. My Room at UALR gives students the option to showcase their individuality and creativity through their rooms. The housing options include the freshman dorm’s West Hall, East Hall, the North and South Hall Common Apartments, and the University Village. Some students had the chance to showcase their rooms and their interviews can be viewed on the channel.
Students who’ve been featured include Systems Engineering major Kari Payton of South Hall, freshman Mary Jo Roberts and Madeline McGhee, and Junior Information Science major and EIT ambassador Michael Cotton of South Hall. Each of their rooms had distinctive elements that made their room’s notable.
Payton’s room was filled with crafty nicks and nacks she personally made herself. A custom bookshelf, decorative pillows, and a board were just a few of the things found in her room. Roberts’ and McGhee’s room was filled with a variety of patterns, colors, and crafts. “I’m a Hello Kitty fanatic,” Roberts said in her interview. The girls also utilized the community goodwill for different decorative pieces to add to their unique room. Floral print patterns and bright pinks and oranges made the girl’s room definitely one to remember. Cottons room could definitely be considered the ideal “guy pad,” filled with recliners for comfort and a flat screen TV for Sunday night football. Inside his room, he placed art on the walls with inspirational quotes. One quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson stated: ‘Do Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’ “That’s kinda like my motto this year,” Cotton stated in his interview.
STUDENTS. Is your room unique and different? Would you like to share it with the rest of the world? Get famous! If you’re interested in having your room on UALRVIDEO, visit www.@ualr.edu. Also check out the @UALRVIDEO channel for other things that may interest you. You never know, you could be the next YouTube sensation.

5 Comments »