News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Families in college together: father-daughter duo experience college from two different perspectives

Submitted by Alexis Williams on April 16, 2014 – 3:29 pmNo Comment

Father Nickolas and daughter Nicole Jovanovic still find time to spend together, enjoying opening night at the Children's Theatre at the Arkansas Arts Center.

Seldom is a whole family in college together at one time, but that is exactly what happened with the Jovanovics.

Nickolas Jovanovic and Nicole Jovanovic are father and daughter who have experienced UALR from two very different perspectives. Nickolas Jovanovic, 54, is an associate professor and coordinator of Architectural, Civil, and Construction Engineering Programs in the Department of Construction Management and Civil and Construction Engineering.. Nicole Jovanovic is a senior theatre and Spanish major, math minor, and Donaghey Scholar, projected to graduate in December. Wife Paula Jovanovic graduated from the university with a degree in Spanish in 2010.

Nickolas Jovanovic was born in Stillwater, Oklahoma, raised largely in Connecticut, and moved to Little Rock when Nicole Jovanovic was one year old; they have lived here since then. The Jovanovics wanted to come closer to their family in Kansas, but they realized Connecticut was too far from Kansas, so when former Chancellor Hathaway came to UALR to start the College of Engineering, Nickolas Jovanovic seized the opportunity for the new job.

“We started taking her to the Children’s Theatre [at the Arkansas Arts Center] to see ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ when she was two, and I don’t think she’s missed a play since,” Nickolas Jovanovic said.

“I’ve missed some. I’ve missed about five in my life,” Nicole Jovanovic said.

The Jovanovics homeschooled Nicole when it was discovered that she could already read well in preschool. Nicole was so young when she started at UALR that for father and daughter to be in college together, Nickolas was able to keep an eye on his daughter through the years.

Nicole is an only child who still enjoys spending time with her parents. They still come together for opening night at the Children’s Theatre.

Comments are closed.