News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Home » Opinions

Americans need to stop ‘biting the bullet’

Submitted by Brian Gregory on February 17, 2016 – 10:39 amNo Comment

I live in the United States, the most powerful and well-off country in the world. However, it is not a stretch to say we are the most violent industrialized nation on the planet. I believe that we need comprehensive common-sense gun reform.

This isn’t just for my safety or because I am having a knee-jerk reaction to the mass shootings. This is because gun violence also ravages poor, urban neighborhoods.

I have never owned a gun, and I don’t desire to own one. I may be somewhat biased towards not owning a gun, but I would direct you to our Constitution. In the Preamble of the Constitution, it says that the government should provide “insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare.”

For me this means two things. First is that the government is in the business of promoting peace and goodwill for its citizens. It also means that you deserve to be kept safe. For many, guns provide a sense of security because there is a bond between the gun owner and their guns. However, non-gun owners should have that same sense of security.

This means I shouldn’t be fearful when I walk into the mall or the movie theater. I should feel like that is a safe place. This also means that when I am walking down the street, I shouldn’t feel like, at any moment, I could be murdered.

Gun violence has no prejudice. Constitutionally, the Second Amendment clearly states that you, as an American, have a right to bear arms. The government should take steps to make it harder for those with the desire to take the lives of innocent Americans.

Comments are closed.