News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Home » Entertainment, Features

‘Fist Fight’ Hits Hard

Submitted by Elton Tevebaugh on February 20, 2017 – 9:04 amNo Comment

“Fist Fight” acts as a good distraction from realities that we all now face. This movie’s charm comes from its superb casting, the raunchy humor, and over the top situations.

“Fist Fight” was directed by Richie Keen, and stars include Charlie Day, Ice Cube, and Tracy Morgan. Other cast members include Jillian Bell, Dean Norris, Christina Hendricks, and Kumail Nanjiani. Seeing all these familiar faces from movies and TV shows is not a common thing, so it was definitely a determining factor for me to watch “Fist Fight.”

The story takes place at a high school on the last day of class before summer. All the seniors are constantly pulling pranks on each other and teachers throughout the day. Andy Campbell (Day) is an English teacher who is also a pushover. He falls victim to some pretty funny pranks, and his frustration grows all day.

To add stress to the teachers, many of them are being fired to free up parts of the budget.

Strickland (Ice Cube) is a history teacher, and is feared and revered by students. He rules with an iron fist, and tends to lose his temper.

At one point in the day, Mr. Campbell is called to assist Strickland with a technical problem in his room. Without giving too much away, Strickland was falling victim to a student prank. After he catches the student, he loses his temper, and then everything seems fine. The student continues to prank Strickland until he loses his temper and scares all the students out of the classroom.

This episode leads to the two teachers being called to the principal’s (Norris) office. Initially, both Strickland and Mr. Campbell keep their mouths shut. When the principal threatens to fire Mr. Campbell, he spills the beans on Strickland which explains the premise of the film. After this, Strickland challenges Mr. Campbell to the titular fist fight.

Coach Crawford (Morgan) and the guidance counselor (Bell) seemed to be the only two teachers on Mr. Campbell’s side. Mr. Campbell gets caught in a compromising position by the French teacher (Hendricks), and so she is on Strickland’s side.

The only staff member that doesn’t seem to side with anyone (aside from the principal) was the campus security guard (Nanjiani). He had a few pretty funny scenes in the movie, and was one of my favorite characters.

This movie pulls no punches when it comes to raunchiness. Within the first few minutes, there is quite a bit of colorful language and sexually explicit images. It seemed as if the movie tried to add colorful language for a while, but it balanced out halfway through the movie. Overall, it was funny, but it seemed a bit forced in the beginning.

Some of the jokes were horribly inappropriate, so naturally, I found myself laughing quite a bit during and even after the movie. The really dark jokes made me laugh and shake my head, but I appreciated what the film tried to do with them.

The over-the-top situations were sprinkled fairly evenly through the movie, but the most of which was the fist fight itself. It didn’t happen until the last 15 to 20 minutes of the movie, so you can imagine how ridiculous the build up was. It took place in front of a massive crowd of students, teachers, and staff members at the school, and both parties used several of their surroundings as weapons. The fight had to be big, though, as it is the main focus of the movie.

Overall, I’d recommend this movie to anyone who likes raunchy comedies that employ what I like to call “stupid” humor. On a scale of one to ten, I’d give this movie a seven, mostly due to how off putting the movie seemed at the beginning, but after it leveled out, it was consistently funny. I honestly don’t think that anyone who is familiar with the principal cast should miss this one, even if you do wait until it’s home release.

Comments are closed.