Master of Arts
Program Coordinator Contact Information
All application materials should be submitted by the date below, depending on the semester being applied for:
Fall: April 1
Spring: November 1
Prospective students are encourage to schedule an interview with the program coordinator before applying, although this is not required.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 (4.0 scale) or 3.0 in the last 60 hours
- Two letters of recommendation (optional for students who have taken art courses at UALR during the three years previous to the application)
- Statement of objectives and goals (500-1,000 words)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score is optional and may be submitted to bolster the application. (Application forms for some financial aid offered through UALR require information about the GRE score.)
Art History Additional Requirements
- Undergraduate research paper (preferably treating an art historical problem but may be in a related area such as literature, history, cultural or intellectual history, anthropology, or aesthetics)
- 18 undergraduate art history hours
Studio Art Additional Requirements
- CD portfolio of 20 images
- 36 undergraduate art hours, including 15 in the major area and 9 in art history (18 major area hours for illustration and graphic design)
Art Education Additional Requirements
- CD portfolio of 20 images. (Not more than 8 images of the 20 may be of the applicant’s students’ work. The applicant’s work must be clearly labeled.)
- 21 hours of studio art and a minimum of 9 hours in art history.
- Digital portfolio of 20 high-quality images (detailing a minimum of ten artworks) with the majority of the works in the medium of focus*
- 24 undergraduate art hours, including 9 in art history** is preferable but other experiences will be considered
Official transcripts, GRE score (if used), and letters of recommendation should be sent to the UALR Graduate School. Other requirements should be sent to the program coordinator in the Department of Art.
See website for more information