Degrees and Certificates Offered
Doctor of Philosophy
Program Coordinator Contact Information
Dr. Ningning Wu
- Applicants must possess a bachelorās degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution. Students whose degree(s) are in an appropriate scientific discipline, such as engineering, mathematics, computer science, or technology area will be the most prepared to enter and successfully complete this program. Students should have an overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale) for their last 60 credit hours.
- Standard test scores (the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)) taken no more thanĀ five years before application. The desired combined quantitative and verbal scores on the GRE is 301 or above (336 scale), with minimum score requirement of 142 and 144 for verbal and quantitative sections, respectively. Computer Science, Net Integrated Computing, and Information Science tracks have an additional minimum score requirement of 155 for quantitative section. In addition, applicants should demonstrate their ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively either through a strong score on the GRE Analytical Writing Component (e.g., 3.5 or above on a 6.0 scale) or through samples of their written work.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Official college transcripts including grades and curriculum for undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate studies.
- Written statement by the applicant regarding the reasons (e.g. interests, relevant experience, and goals) why he or she should be considered for this Ph.D. program.
- RĆ©sumĆ© detailing any professional work experience, published papers, or presentations
- International students whose native language is not English and who do not have a degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning must demonstrate proficiency in written English via the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicantsā scores must exceed 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test). Applicants with scores below but close to 550 (213 if computer-based test or 79 internet-based test) may be admitted provisionally upon the recommendation of the Integrated Computing Steering Committee to the Dean of Graduate School, and allowed to fulfill the TOEFL requirement as specified in the Graduate School admissions policies.
- For applicants whose native language is not English and who are seeking financial support via a teaching assistantship, the student must demonstrate proficiency in spoken English via a score of 80% or higher on the American English Oral Communication Proficiency Test (AEOCPT) or a score of 5.0 or higher on the Test of Spoken English (TSE).
Note:Ā All application materials must be submitted directly to the UALR Graduate School.
Integrated Computing track areas may vary in their allowances to the admission criteria stated above. The Integrated Computing Steering Committee will evaluate the compatibility between the applicantās background, research interests, and communication to skillsĀ vis-Ć -visĀ the doctoral program when making admission decisions, and may decline to admit an otherwise qualified application based on a lack of fit with the program.
- The Integrated Computing Steering Committee may recommend conditionally admitting for one semester a promising student who has less than the specified requirements for admission.
- These students may be required to take prerequisite coursework at the undergraduate level as part of the terms of their conditional admission.
- The conditional student must fulfill the admission requirements specified by the Integrated Computing Steering Committee by the specified time frame to be admitted fully (e.g., student may be required to maintain a B or higher in their first 12 hours of the program).
- Such students will be evaluated by the Integrated Computing Steering Committee after one semester and a decision made to: (1) continue conditional status, (2) grant full admission to the doctoral program, or (3) dismiss the student from the doctoral program.
See website for more information