Skip to the page content Skip to primary navigation Skip to the search form Skip to the audience-based navigation Skip to the site tools and log-in Information about website accessibility

Classified Employee Handbook

Workers Compensation

You should notify your supervisor immediately if you are the victim of any job-related injury or occupational disease. You may be entitled to benefits under the Public Employee Claim Act.

All UALR Worker’s Compensation claims are processed and submitted to the Public Employee Claims Division of the Arkansas Insurance Department through Human Resource Services. The procedure outlined below establishes uniform guidelines to be followed by UALR employees. Supervisors are responsible for seeing that the procedure is followed.

  1. If you are injured, immediately report the accident to your supervisor. If medical attention is needed, report promptly to the Health Services Office in the Donaghey Student Center.
  2. In case of a serious accident, follow these steps:
    1. Give yourself first aid if you know how and send someone to call for help.
    2. Call Health Services at 569-3188. Nurses are on duty from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
    3. If you cannot reach the nurse or if the accident occurs at night or on weekends, call the Department of Public Safety at 569-3400. Officers are trained in first aid and they can call an ambulance for you.
    4. If you cannot reach the Department of Public Safety, dial 8-911. This puts you in direct contact with the emergency services dispatcher.
  1. If you are examined by the nursing staff at the Health Services office, you may be referred elsewhere for further examination and/or treatment. Human Resource Services must be notified whenever such a referral is made.
  2. To be eligible for medical payments, claims must be filed with the Public Employee Claims Division within ten days after an accident. The following forms must be completed:
    1. Employer’s First Report of Injury or Illness.
    2. Employee’s Notice of Injury.
    3. Employee’s Report of Accident.
  1. You must complete the Employee’s Report of Accident at the time of the injury or as soon as possible after the accident. This form must be signed by you. If you are unable to sign the form, an explanation must be given as to why you cannot.
  2. Your supervisor is responsible for completing the Employer’s First Report of Injury or Illness form as soon as possible after notification of your on-the –job injury. It must not be completed by you. The form must be signed by the immediate supervisor or his/her designee.
  3. When you report an injury, your supervisor will give you a copy of form AR-N (Employee’s Notice of Injury). Acknowledge receipt of the form on the line indicated. At your request, a copy of the form will be given to you. (The original will be sent to Public Employee Claims Division.)
  4. When you report and injury, you should sign an authorization for Release of Information which is forwarded to Public Employee Claims Division.

You may get copies of all forms mentioned above in Human Resource Services. Send completed forms to Human Resource Services as soon as possible after an accident occurs. These forms must be completed before any payment of medical expenses or compensation can be made by the Public Employee Claims Division. The Public Employee Claims Division will make a determination of benefits eligibility after it has received all forms, medical reports and itemized statement of charges. Whenever you receive a statement about an on-the-job injury, it is your responsibility to see that Human Resource Services receives the itemized statement or a copy.

According to the Public Employee Claims Act, compensation to injured employees is not allowed for the first seven calendar days of disability due to an injury, excluding the day of injury. If a disability lasts longer than that period, compensation starts with the eighth calendar day of disability. If the disability lasts for a period of two weeks, compensation begins the first day of disability, excluding the day of injury.

Eligibility for payments to the dependent of a deceased employee or to an injured employee with temporary partial disability, permanent partial disability or permanent disability is determined by the Worker’s Compensation Commission.

If you should require time off for an injury suffered on the job, your supervisor is to immediately notify Human Resource Services of the date you return to work. After receiving notification, Human Resource Services will complete an Employer’s Supplemental Report of Injury Form (Form E) and submit it to the Public Employee Claims Division. This form is also used if the original report did not show time lost and you are later unable to work.


Last revision 11/1995

Updated 10.26.2011