University of Arkansas at Little Rock
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock was founded in 1927 as Little Rock Junior College under the supervision of the city Board of Education. There were only eight instructors and one-hundred students during the first semester. By 1929 the college was accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Housed at first in public school buildings, the college moved in 1949 to its present location in what was then southwestern Little Rock, on a beautifully wooded site donated by Raymond Rebsamen. The college was also by that time the sole beneficiary of a continuing trust established by former Governor George W. Donaghey.
In 1957 the institution began a four-year program, became independently and privately supported under a separate board of trustees, and took the name Little Rock University.
After several years of discussion and study, Little Rock University in September of 1969 merged with the University of Arkansas to create the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
Last revision 11/1995