This recipe is loaded with fiber (7 grams/serving) and protein (17 grams/serving) and is low in fat. It also packs an additional nutritional punch by providing a good supply of iron, potassium and vitamin C.
Source: USDA What’s Cooking/USDA Mixing Bowl.
2/3 pound ground beef (90% lean)
1 bell pepper- chopped
6 garlic cloves-chopped
1 TBSP. chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 can (15 oz.) low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 jar (16 oz.) medium salsa
1 can (15 oz.) pinto or kidney beans- rinsed and drained
- Place meat, pepper, tomatoes, and onion in a large sauce pan. Heat on medium for 10 minutes. Stir frequently until the meat is browned. Drain the fat.
2. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook until fragrant-about 15 seconds.
3. Stir in salsa and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes-stirring occasionally.
5. Add beans and cook until heated.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING (Recipe makes 6 servings)
Fat: 6 grams (54 calories)
Carbs: 28 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 390 mg