Soup season is fast approaching. If you don’t like black beans, try another type and you can always add corn to provide more fiber and nutrients.
Source: Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nance Clark, MS,RD
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 cups chicken broth or water
2 carrots-peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic-crushed
2 cans (16 ounce size) black beans-rinsed and drained
1 TBSP fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp dried oregano
* optional: 3 cups cooked pasta,shells or bow ties; 2 ounces grated cheese; hot red pepper flakes
1. In a large stockpot, place the chicken breasts, broth (or water), carrots, tomatoes, onion, garlic, beans and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until done.
2. Remove the chicken pieces from the broth and set them aside to cool. Keep the broth warm over low heat. (Optional: Add the cooked pasta.)
3. Dice the chicken into small pieces. Return it to the soup and heat it through.
4. Garnish with grated cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Per Serving; Recipe yields 4 servings.)
Carbs: 33 grams
Protein: 35 grams
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 16 grams