Quick, easy-to-make and nutritious! These sandwiches are easy on the budget and are packed with protein and fiber.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6 SERVINGS)
2 cans (5 ounce size) of tuna (in water); drained
1 can (15 ounce) black beans (or garbanzos)
3/4 cup of canned corn
1 green bell pepper-diced
1 medium carrot-diced
2 TBSP lime juice
1 TBSP canola oil
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
3 whole wheat pitas (6″) cut in half
- In a bowl, combine tuna with beans, corn, pepper and carrot.
- Add in lime juice, oil, salt and spices.
- Place 1 cup of the tuna mixture in each pita half.
- Add 1 TBSP of fat-free sour cream to each pita.
- Use garbanzo beans instead of black beans.
- Add some tomatoes if desired.
- Use whole wheat tortillas instead of pita bread.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Fat: 4 grams (36 calories or 17% of the total calories)
Carbs: 32 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Fiber: 6 grams