Housing Procedures


The Office of Student Housing follows certain procedures which affect all residents.  Students should become familiar with the following information since it pertains to their stay in campus housing.  It is the responsibility of every resident to read, understand, and follow the policies stated in this Resident Handbook.

Any changes or corrections of information in the Resident Handbook during the academic year will be communicated to residents via the Housing Staff, email, newsletter, and/or by posted notices.

The University reserves the right to reassign and consolidate students who do not wish to pay for a private room.  In the case of a vacant student space, the remaining roommate(s) may have the option to contract for a private room, be assigned a new roommate, or be reassigned to another room.  In determining reassignment, priority will be given to students with the earliest application date.

Students are responsible for the care of their assigned room/suite/apartment, including all furnishings and equipment supplied by the University.  Students will sign a Room Condition Report at the beginning and the end of their occupancy, and will be held accountable for any abnormal wear or damage(s).

The $100 housing deposit is required of all residential students and will remain on file with the University as long as the student resides in campus housing.  Upon leaving campus housing, the student may request a refund of the deposit by submitting the Housing Deposit Refund Request Form to the Housing Office.  The form is available on the Housing website or in person at the Housing Office.  The request will be processed, deducting any damage or cleaning fees.  The remaining credit will be applied to the student’s account.  If the student owes a balance to the University, the credit will be applied toward that balance.  If there is no balance, a check will be mailed to the student using the address provided by the student in their BOSS account.

For East and West Halls, housing fees do not cover periods when classes are not in session.  These buildings will be closed during Thanksgiving, semester break, and spring break holidays.  Students needing to stay in East or West Halls during these times may do so for an additional fee.  Appropriate application forms for each break period will be available at the respective reception desk approximately ten (10) days prior to that break.  North & South Hall rent does include the break periods mentioned above.  Students not returning for the spring semester must vacate their residence and return the room key by the last day of finals for the fall semester.  Failure to vacate residence will result in charges.

Students not returning who do not check out by the fall deadline will be billed for the break period.

Missing Person
Individuals who believe that a student resident is missing should contact Housing Staff to file an Incident Report Form which will initiate an investigation within Housing.  If the missing student is not yet 18 years of age, the custodial parent or guardian will be contacted by the University within 24 hours of notification.  UALR will initiate official notification procedures for any resident who is determined to be missing for more than 24 hours.

All residents have the option to designate a person to be contacted by UALR should the resident be determined to be missing for more than 24 hours.  A Confidential Contact Information Form is available from the Housing Office or the Housing website.  All residents are encouraged to complete and submit this information as soon as possible.

If a resident chooses not to designate a contact and/or is not yet 18 years of age, the Dean of Students will notify the Director of the Department of Public Safety (UALR Police Department) when a resident has been determined to be missing for more than 24 hours.

All housing charges for UALR students are posted to student accounts.  Students may pay monthly installments by making arrangements through the University Cashier, not the Housing Office.  Questions regarding scholarship or financial aid coverage of housing fees should be directed to Student Services (569-3280).

Personal Property
The University does not assume any legal obligation for students’ personal property.  The University is not liable for loss, theft, or damage.  Students are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses.  Information regarding personal property insurance is available in the Housing Office.

Private Rooms
In East Hall, private bedrooms are offered on a space available basis.  The additional fee for a private bedroom will be 50% of the standard semester room rate.

Housing & Dining Lease Agreement
The term of the agreement is for the entire academic year, including fall and spring semesters.  There is a separate agreement used for summer sessions.  All opening and closing dates/times are published and are firm.  Daily rates as well as removal, disposal, and lock change charges will apply for belongings left after agreement expiration times.

Release from Agreement
Official withdrawal from the University will terminate the agreement immediately.  The student will have 24 hours to vacate the residence.  Room rent will be prorated on a weekly basis.  Should it become necessary for an enrolled student to vacate the residence hall prior to the end of the academic year for any reason other than withdrawal from the University, the student may choose the “buy-out” option.

The terms of this option include:

  • Immediate cancellation of the Housing & Dining Lease Agreement.  The student must move out no later than 48 hours after the effective date of the approved cancellation.
  • The student will receive a 50% refund of the prorated housing fees for the remainder of the semester.  This credit will be posted to the student’s account.
  • Forfeiture of the $100 housing deposit.
  • Dining plans will not be refunded.
  • DEADLINES – the deadline to request a buy-out for the fall semester is November 1st, and April 1st for the spring semester.  Any request received after November 1st will be considered a spring request subject to the terms above.

Room Assignments
Room assignments are made without regard to race, creed, or national origin.  Assignments are made on a space available basis.  The Housing Office reserves the right to make assignment changes when deemed necessary by appropriate Housing Staff.

Room Changes
Students wishing to swap rooms or move to a vacant space should contact the Hall Director to determine availability.  If approved, the student will receive the necessary paperwork and instructions.  Moving without following the appropriate procedures, or not completing an approved move within 48 hours, constitutes an improper move, resulting in a fine up to $25 and moving back to the originally assigned room.  Students are allowed a maximum of one room change per academic year.

Room Entry
The University reserves the right for authorized University officials  (such as Housing Staff) to enter residence hall facilities for housekeeping purposes, repair or maintenance, health or safety reasons, in emergency situations, or when there are reasonable grounds to suspect that University regulations or state or federal laws are being violated.  UALR Department of Public Safety officers have authority to search a student room if they have probable cause to believe that a University policy or state or federal law is being violated.  Valid search warrants are required for law enforcement officials (non-University officials) to search student rooms for investigative purposes.