M.A.I.S. (Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, formerly known as Liberal Studies) is a unique graduate degree at UALR. Rather than focusing on a single field the MAIS degree is composed of two areas of study, combined into an interdisciplinary degree plan. Each student is able to design a degree with areas of study that are the most relevant to that student.
- Our students come from diverse professional and academic backgrounds
- Our students range in age from recent traditional-aged undergraduates to new retirees
- MAIS graduates are currently active as teachers, PhD students, and professionals
- You can pursue the MAIS degree part-time or full-time
- Some courses may be available online or in evening sessions
- Graduate Assistantships and financial aid options are available
- MAIS faculty are involved throughout the campus and conduct research in multiple areas
“As an educator and multimedia producer it is critical that I communicate effectively across disciplines to develop messages that inform, educate, and inspire. MALS allows me to target courses in various fields that strengthen the skills I need to be successful.”
- —Alum Kevin Quinn studied History and Journalism and completed a thesis entitled “The old gray lady and the campaign for the equal right amendment in Arkansas: A content analysis of the Arkansas Gazette 1972-1979”.